Germans to the front : West German rearmament in the Adenauer era
- David Clay Large.
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, ©1996.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (x, 327 pages)
- Large, David Clay.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 271-309) and index.
In Germans to the Front, David Large charts the path from Germany's total demilitarization immediately after World War II to the appearance of the Bundeswehr, the West German army, in 1956. The book is the first comprehensive study in English of West German rearmament during this critical period. Large's analysis of the complex interplay between the diplomatic and domestic facets of the rearmament debate illuminates key elements in the development of the Cold War and in Germany's ongoing difficulty in formulating a role for itself on the international scene.Rearmament severely tested West Germany's new parliamentary institutions, dramatically defined emerging power relationships in German politics, and posed a crucial challenge for the NATO alliance. Although the establishment of the Bundeswehr ultimately helped stabilize the nation, the acrimony surrounding its formation generated deep divisions in German society that persisted long after the army took the field. According to Large, the conflict was so bitter because rearmament forced a confrontation with fundamental questions of national identity and demanded a painful reckoning with the past.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Germany (West) > Defenses.
- Germany (West) > Politics and government.
- Germany (West) > Foreign relations.
- Allemagne (Ouest) > Défense nationale.
- Allemagne (Ouest) > Politique et gouvernement.
- Allemagne (Ouest) > Relations extérieures.
- TECHNOLOGY & ENGINEERING > Military Science.
- HISTORY > Military > Other.
- Diplomatic relations.
- Military readiness.
- Politics and government
- Germany (West)
- Koude Oorlog.
- Allemagne (République fédérale) > Relations extérieures.
- Allemagne (République fédérale) > Défense nationale.
- Allemagne (République fédérale) > Politique et gouvernement > 1949-1963.
- Allemagne > Défense nationale > 1945-1970.
- Allemagne > Relations extérieures > 1945-1990.
- Deutschland <Bundesrepublik>
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 0807862746 (electronic bk.)
- 9780807862742 (electronic bk.)
- 0807822353 (alk. paper)
- 0807845396 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 9780807822357 (alk. paper)
- 9780807845394 (pbk. ; alk. paper)