Imperial benevolence : making British authority in the Pacific Islands
- Jane Samson.
- English. In English.
- data file.
- Honolulu : University of Hawai'i Press, ©1998.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xv, 240 pages) : maps
- Samson, Jane, 1962-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 207-233) and index.
- Measures of benevolence
- White savages
- Protective supremacy?
- The sandalwood crusade
- A house divided
- Antislavery imperatives
- Gunboat diplomacy?
- The triumph of tradition
This analysis of British imperialism in the south Pacific explores the impulses behind British calls for the protection and ""improvement"" of islanders. From kingmaking projects in Hawai'i, Tonga and Fiji to the ""antislavery"" campaign against the labour trade in the western Pacific, the author examines the subjective cultural roots permeating Britons' attitudes toward Pacific islanders. By teasing out the connections between those attitudes and the British humanitarian and antislavery movements, this text reminds the reader that 19th-century Britain was engaged in a global canpaign for ""Christianization and civilization"". Using official and unofficial records, this text shows how British Naval officers and their humanitarian supporters responded to a variety of Pacific encounters, developing their own interpretations of culture and contact in the islands. The book aims to overturn traditional historical treatments of Britain's naval operations in the islands, particularly on the issue of ""gunboat diplomacy"". It reveals how deeply divided British opinion was about the use of force against islanders and the unpredictable responses of the islanders.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Islands of the Pacific > History > 19th century.
- Islands of the Pacific > Relations > Great Britain.
- Great Britain > Relations > Islands of the Pacific.
- Great Britain > Colonies > Oceania.
- Pacifique, Îles du > Histoire > 19e siècle.
- Pacifique, Îles du > Relations > Grande-Bretagne.
- Grande-Bretagne > Relations > Pacifique, Îles du.
- Grande-Bretagne > Colonies > Océanie.
- HISTORY > Europe > Great Britain.
- British colonies.
- International relations.
- Great Britain.
- Pacific Ocean > Islands of the Pacific.
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 0585239525 (electronic bk.)
- 9780585239521 (electronic bk.)
- 9780824862947 (electronic bk.)
- 0824862945 (electronic bk.)
- 0824819276 (acid-free paper)
- 9780824819279 (acid-free paper)