Mobility, elites and education in French society of the Second Empire
- by Patrick J. Harrigan ; with a statistical appendix by James B. Whitney.
- data file.
- Waterloo, Ontario, Canada : Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Harrigan, Patrick J. (Patrick Joseph), 1941- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Based on a unique historical source, this book examines the social origins, career expectations, and first jobs of 28,000 students in the elitist French secondary schools of the 1860s. Using sophisticated statistical analysis as well as conventional historical sources, the work concludes that schooling reached a wider audience than has been so far believed and that substantial social mobility occurred within the school system, but that family background, rather than educational factors, directed students career aspirations and achievements. It also argues that although education expanded in urban, industrialized areas, mobility did not increase in these areas. A final chapter reconsiders nineteenthcentury thought concerning education in the light of findings about the social effects of schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- High school students > France > Social conditions.
- Student aspirations > France > History > 19th century.
- Occupational mobility > France > History > 19th century.
- Education, Secondary > France > History > 19th century.
- France > Social conditions > 19th century.
- EDUCATION / Secondary.
- Education, Secondary.
- High school students > Social conditions.
- Occupational mobility.
- Social conditions.
- Student aspirations.
- Élèves du secondaire > France > Conditions sociales.
- Étudiants > Aspirations > France > Histoire > 19e siècle.
- Mobilité professionnelle > France > Histoire > 19e siècle.
- Enseignement secondaire > France > Histoire > 19e siècle.
- France > Conditions sociales > 19e siècle.
- Voortgezet onderwijs.
- Sociale mobiliteit.
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9780889207905 (electronic bk.)
- 0889207909 (electronic bk.)