Making and remaking saints in nineteenth-century Britain
- edited by Gareth Atkins.
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2016.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (x, 283 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : thinking with saints / Gareth Atkins
- Paul / Michael Ledger-Lomas
- The Virgin Mary / Carol Engelhardt Herringer
- Claudia Rufina / Martha Vandrei
- Patrick / Andrew R. Holmes
- Thomas Becket / Nicholas Vincent
- Thomas More / William Sheils
- Ignatius Loyola / Gareth Atkins
- English Catholic martyrs / Lucy Underwood
- Richard Baxter / Simon Burton
- The Scottish covenanters / James Coleman
- John and Mary Fletcher / David R. Wilson
- William Wilberforce and 'the saints' / Roshan Allpress
- Elizabeth Fry and Sarah Martin / Helen Rogers
- John Henry Newman's 'Lives of the English Saints' / Elizabeth Macfarlane
- Thérèse of Lisieux / Alana Harris.
This book examines the place of 'saints' and sanctity in a self-consciously modern age, and argues that Protestants were as fascinated by such figures as Catholics were. Long after the mechanisms of canonisation had disappeared, people continued not only to engage with the saints of the past but continued to make their own saints in all but name. Just as strikingly, it claims that devotional practices and language were not the property of orthodox Christians alone. Making and remaking saints in the nineteenth-century Britain explores for the first time how sainthood remained significant in this period both as an enduring institution and as a metaphor that could be transposed into unexpected contexts. Each of the chapters in this volume focuses on the reception of a particular individual or group, and together they will appeal to not only historians of religion, but those concerned with material culture, the cult of history, and with the reshaping of British identities in an age of faith and doubt. -- .
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Saints > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Great Britain > Religious life and customs > History > 19th century.
- Christian saints > Cult > England > History > 19th century > Congresses.
- RELIGION > Christian Theology > Angelology & Demonology.
- Christian saints > Cult.
- Great Britain.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Making and remaking saints in 19th-century Britain
- "The seeds of this book were sown at a colloquium in July 2012 at Magdalene College, Cambridge"--Page xi.
- 9780719096860 (electronic bk.)
- 0719096863 (electronic bk.)