The news from Lone Rock : observations and one-liners of a small-town pundit
- Freeland Dexter ; edited by Deanna R. Haney ; foreword by Mark E. Lefebvre.
- Madison, WI : Wisconsin Historical Society Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Introduction / by Deanna R. Haney
- "This book presents a selection of the most fascinating, poignant, and amusing stories Dexter wrote during his tenure as the Lone Rock correspondent for the Spring Green Weekly Home News from 1884 to 1912. Whether covering significant events, personal milestones, or the more ordinary details of life in a small town kept alive by a neighboring railroad, Dexter wrote with a distinctive wit and personality, and his affection for Lone Rock and its inhabitants is infectious. Readers follow along as the town tries to bolster its fire department, votes on whether to build a new village hall, considers the controversial question of whether to go dry, and much more. They share the joys and sorrows of Lone Rock as friends and family get married and start families, experience success, and face loss that seemed to come too often through illness and accidents. Dexter's writings also provide an illuminating window into a time period of technological change, showing how the introduction of electric light, telephones, and cars changed--and in some cases even seemed to save--lives and connected this small town more and more to the outside world"--Provided by publisher.
- Dexter, Freeland.
- Lone Rock (Wis.) > History > 19th century > Sources.
- Lone Rock (Wis.) > History > 20th century > Sources.
- Lone Rock (Wis.) > Social life and customs > Sources.
- Social change > Wisconsin > Lone Rock > History > Sources.
- Lone Rock (Wis.) > Biography.
- Journalists > Wisconsin > Lone Rock > Biography.
- HISTORY > United States > State & Local > General.
- HISTORY > United States > State & Local > Midwest (IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, ND, NE, OH, SD, WI)
- Manners and customs.
- Social change.
- Wisconsin > Lone Rock.
- Publication date
- 9780870207709 (electronic bk.)
- 0870207709 (electronic bk.)
- 9780870207693 (paperback ; alkaline paper)