Boy soldiers of the American Revolution
- Caroline Cox ; with a foreword by Robert Middlekauff.
- English. English.
- Chapel Hill : The University of North Carolina Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: As well as I can recollect
- Answer the purpose
- A strong desire to enlist
- My father caused me to enlist
- He took his father's place
- Fellow citizens.
Between 1819 and 1845, as veterans of the Revolutionary War were filing applications to receive pensions for their service, the government was surprised to learn that many of the soldiers were not men, but boys, many of whom were under the age of sixteen, and some even as young as nine. In Boy Soldiers of the American Revolution, Caroline Cox reconstructs the lives and stories of this young subset of early American soldiers, focusing on how these boys came to join the army and what they actually did in service. Giving us a rich and unique glimpse into colonial childhood, Cox traces the evolution of youth in American culture in the late eighteenth century, as the accepted age for children to participate meaningfully in society-not only in the military-was rising dramatically.Drawing creatively on sources, such as diaries, letters, and memoirs, Caroline Cox offers a vivid account of what life was like for these boys both on and off the battlefield, telling the story of a generation of soldiers caught between old and new notions of boyhood.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- American Revolution (1775-1783)
- Child soldiers > United States > History > 18th century.
- United States > History > Revolution, 1775-1783 > Participation, Juvenile.
- Children > United States > Social life and customs > 18th century.
- HISTORY > United States > State & Local > General.
- HISTORY > United States > Revolutionary Period (1775-1800)
- Military participation > Juvenile.
- Child soldiers.
- Children > Social life and customs.
- United States.
- Publication date
- 9781469627557 (electronic bk.)
- 1469627558 (electronic bk.)
- 9781469627540 (ebook)
- 146962754X (ebook)