Democracy, Islam, and secularism in Turkey
- edited by Ahmet T. Kuru and Alfred Stepan.
- New York : Columbia University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (vi, 216 pages).
- Religion, culture, and public life.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Ahmet T. Kuru and Alfred Stepan
- Rethinking Ottoman management of diversity: what can we learn for modern Turkey / Karen Barkey
- The historical roots of kemalism / M. Sukru Hanioglu
- Turkey-plural society and monolithic state / Ergun Ozbudun
- Laicite as an "ideal type" and a continuum: comparing Turkey, France, and Senegal / Ahmet T. Kuru and Alfred Stepan
- A new politics of engagement: the Turkish military, society, and the AKP / Umit Cizre
- The Turkish constitutional court and political crisis / Ergun Ozbudun
- Turkey's accession to the European Union and the role of the Justice and Development Party / Joost Lagendijk
- The "Turkish model" in the matrix of political Catholicism / Stathis N. Kalyvas.
- While Turkey has grown as a world power, promoting the image of a progressive and stable nation, several policy choices have strained its relationship with the East and the West. Providing social, historical, and religious context for Turkey's singular behavior, the essays in Democracy, Islam, and Secularism in Turkey examine issues relevant to Turkish debates and global concerns, from the state's position on religion and diversity to its involvement in the European Union. Written by experts in a range of disciplines, the chapters explore the Ottoman toleration of diversity during.
- Democracy > Turkey.
- Islam and state > Turkey.
- Secularism > Turkey.
- Cultural pluralism > Turkey.
- Turkey > Politics and government > 20th century.
- Turkey > Politics and government > 21st century.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Political Process > General.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > International Relations > General.
- Cultural pluralism.
- Islam and state.
- Politics and government
- Publication date
- Religion, culture, and public life
- 9780231530255 (electronic bk.)
- 0231530250 (electronic bk.)
- 9780231159326 (cloth ; alk. paper)