Overcoming challenges and creating opportunity for African American male students
- Jennifer T. Butcher, Johnny R. O'Connor, and Freddie Titus, editors.
- Hershey, Pennsylvania (701 E. Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, Pennsylvania, 17033, USA) : IGI Global, 2019.
- Physical description
- 20 PDFs (xvii, 302 pages)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1. The importance of understanding the challenges of African American male students: setting the foundation for future educational success
- Chapter 2. A blueprint for developing black male leader identity, capacity, and efficacy through leadership learning
- Chapter 3. The art of Sankofa and re-establishing Kujichagulia: interrogating the educational past of black folks
- Chapter 4. The influence of self-determination theory on African American males' motivation
- Chapter 5. Racial battle fatigue and mental health in black men
- Chapter 6. Impact of mentoring and support programs on academic performance of African American males: analysis through a critical race theory lens
- Chapter 7. Culturally responsive mentoring programs: impacting retention/graduation rates of African American males attending predominately white institutions
- Chapter 8. The mentoring and connectivism of African American male students who participate in recreational sports programs
- Chapter 9. Mapping mindset and academic success among black men at a predominantly white institution
- Chapter 10. The importance of black male collegians' conceptualizing student success at historically white institutions
- Chapter 11. The men of L.E.G.A.C.I. student success program: building strategic platforms for collegiate success
- Chapter 12. An empowering experience: black males developing competencies abroad.
- Publisher's summary
Throughout American history, African American males have routinely encountered circumstances or challenges that have impeded the access needed to achieve their educational goals. In today's social climate and dialogues surrounding equity in education, a resource guide is imperative to prompt more informed discourse and robust decision making as it relates to the African American male student in education. Overcoming Challenges and Creating Opportunity for African American Male Students is an essential reference source that supports the development of more widespread solution-oriented approaches to confronting, confirming, and mitigating any perpetual disparities that may exist among these students. Featuring research on topics such as access to education, racial battle fatigue, and mentoring programs, this book is ideally designed for administrators, policymakers, educators, scholars, researchers, students, and academicians seeking coverage on the many factors that influence African American male success in various educational contexts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Restricted to subscribers or individual electronic text purchasers.
- Also available in print.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- 9781522559900 hardcover
- 9781522559917 ebook
- 1522559914 electronic book
- 1522559906 hardcover
Browse related items
Start at call number: