Crime, protest, and popular politics in southern England, 1740-1850
- John Rule and Roger Wells.
- London ; Rio Grande, Ohio : Hambledon Press, 1997.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (257 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Crime, protest and radicalism-- the revolt of the south west, 1800-1 - a study in English popular protest-- the perfect wage system? tributing in the Cornish mines-- the Chartist mission to Cornwall-- Richard Spurr of Truro - small-town radical-- resistance to the new poor law in the rural south-- southern Chartism-- social crime in the rural south in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries-- crime and protest in a country parish - Burwash, 1790-1850-- the manifold causes of rural crime - sheep-stealing in England, c. 1740-1840.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Southern England has been studied considerably less than the industrializing north and midlands in the debate on the standard of living in the period up to 1850. Yet it is becoming clear that it was in the south and in the countryside that the greatest poverty and deprivation was to be found. These essays examine responses to the struggle to live. The responses ranged from, at the most extreme, sheep-stealing and incendiarism to joining in food riots in an attempt to impose a "moral economy". More sustained protest is to be seen in passive and sometimes active resistance to authority, and in particular in the opposition to the introduction of the New Poor Law of 1834. Finally the appeal yet limitations of Chartism in the south is demonstrated.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Protest movements > England, Southern > History > 18th century.
- Protest movements > England, Southern > History > 19th century.
- Popular culture > England, Southern > History > 18th century.
- Popular culture > England, Southern > History > 19th century.
- Crime > England, Southern > History > 18th century.
- Crime > England, Southern > History > 19th century.
- England, Southern > Politics and government.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Anthropology > Cultural.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Public Policy > Cultural Policy.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Popular Culture.
- Politics and government
- Popular culture.
- Protest movements.
- England, Southern.
- Soziale Unruhen
- England > Süd
- Publication date
- 9780826462282 (electronic bk.)
- 0826462286 (electronic bk.)