Beyond the factory gates : asbestos and health in twentieth century America
- Peter Bartrip.
- London ; New York : Continuum, ©2006.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (252 pages)
- Bartrip, P. W. J. (Peter W. J.)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 164-245) and index.
- 1. Emergent Knowledge
- 2. Minimum Requirements
- 3. Inspecting the Shipyards
- 4. Fleischer, Viles, Gade and Drinker
- 5. Cursory Measures?
- 6. The 1950s and Beyond
- 7. Asbestos and Cancer
- 8. Irving J. Selikoff and the International Association
- 9. New York and Beyond
- 10. Proscription or Precautions?
- 11. OSHA and the Asbestos Standard
- 12. All at Sea
- 13. Conclusion
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
Beyond the Factory Gates examines the issue of asbestos and health in the USA between the early 1900's to the mid-1970s. Areas covered include the emergence of medical concern about the three fatal diseases related to asbestos (asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma); the actions of the US Navy (the main consumer of asbestos-based insulation products); the response of the federal government before and after enactment of the Occupational Safety and Health Act in 1970; and the roles of organized labour and the asbestos industry. The book provides an important insight into occupational health and its regulation in twentieth century America, and is original in several ways. First, there is no satisfactory history of asbestos, health and medicine in the USA - a major gap in the literature. Second, no previous publication has examined the asbestos issue 'beyond the factory gates' in a non-manufacturing context and explored the complex interactions between organised labour, the US Government, business corporations and the US navy. Finally, Beyond the Factory Gates avoids the one-sided, anti-business interpretations that predominate much of the existing literature. It accepts that the history of asbestos is in many ways a human tragedy, but it rejects simplistic, universalised arguments that this has been a tragedy with a cast only villains, dupes and victims.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Asbestos > Physiological effect.
- Asbestos abatement > United States.
- Asbestos > Law and legislation > United States.
- Asbestos industry > Employees > Health and hygiene > United States.
- Asbestos industry > Employees > Legal status, laws, etc. > United States.
- Asbestos > adverse effects
- Asbestos > history
- Air Pollutants, Occupational > history
- History, 20th Century
- Occupational Exposure > legislation & jurisprudence
- United States
- Amiante > Effets physiologiques.
- Désamiantage > États-Unis.
- Amiante > Droit > États-Unis.
- Amiante > Industrie > Personnel > Santé et hygiène > États-Unis.
- Amiante > Industrie > Personnel > Droit > États-Unis.
- HEALTH & FITNESS > Safety.
- Asbestos abatement.
- Asbestos industry > Employees > Health and hygiene.
- Asbestos industry > Employees > Legal status, laws, etc.
- Asbestos > Law and legislation.
- United States.
- Publication date
- 9781441188182 (electronic bk.)
- 1441188185 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: