Keep calm and teach : empowering K-12 learners with positive classroom management routines
- Victoria Lentfer.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, A SAGE Company, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 214 pages ; 26 cm.
- Corwin teaching essentials
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4065 .L46 2019||Unknown|
- Lentfer, Victoria, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 205-209) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author
- Chapter 1: The CALM Management Program How I Got From There to Here Teach Content and Behavior CALM Management Communication Accountability Leadership Motivation Proactive Measures Positive Reinforcements Pacing Learning Goals Behavior Goals Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins Part I: CALM Communication
- Chapter 2: Positive Behavior Expectations Explicit Expectations Lead to Positive Results In the Research Beginning the CALM Classroom Process Bullying Special Situations Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins
- Chapter 3: Redirect Behavior Model Redirect Behavior Model Defined Empower Students Framework of the Redirect Behavior Model Implementing the Phases of the Redirect Behavior Model Phase I: Explain Student Behavior Expectations Phase I: Noncompliance-What to Do if a Student Does Not Accept the Redirection Phase II: Encourage Student Ownership Phase III: Problem-Solve With the Noncompliant Student Delivering the Redirect Behavior Model Say It and Move On Make It Conversational Be Prepared for Students to Feel Uncomfortable Remain Calm Redirect Behavior Model for Instruction Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins
- Chapter 4: Voice-Movement-Task Model Voice-Movement-Task Model Defined Research When to Use Voice Movement Materials Task Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins Part II: CALM Accountability
- Chapter 5: Accountability-Collaborative Work Groups Think Beyond the Four Walls . . . Small-Group Interaction Model Prior to Activity (Standard Procedures for All Activities) Peer Feedback How to Teach Students to Provide Academic Feedback Positive Behavior Expectations for Feedback Role-Play Scenarios Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins
- Chapter 6: Accountability-Conversations, Consequences, and Follow Through Student Choices Consequences to Promote Growth Conversations to Promote Growth Relying on Positive Consequences May Require a Change in Mindset Positive Consequences Consequences That Address Negative Behavior Inappropriate Responses to Negative Behavior Consequence Progression Follow Through Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins Part III: CALM Leadership
- Chapter 7: Teacher as a Leader Five Effective Practices for a Teacher Leader Reflective Practice Communication Teacher Presence Positive Mindset Instruction Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins
- Chapter 8: Student as a Leader The Student Communication Model Community Council Purpose of the Community Council Appointing the Council Leader When the Council Convenes Community Council Whole-Class Meeting Protocol Teacher Role Incentive Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins Part IV: CALM Motivation
- Chapter 9: Motivation Plan Motivation Plan-Whole Class Disengaged Student-Work for Wins Disengaged Student-Mentor Tutoring Summary Reflection Questions Quick Wins
- Chapter 10: Final Thoughts Key Takeaways One Last Collaborative Group Activity Where Do We Go From Here? References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
More than ever before, students are coming to school with social, emotional, and behavioral issues that could have a negative impact on their learning. What's more, the pressure on teachers for their students to perform well on high-stakes testing can take the focus away from addressing behavioral issues. This book provides an inclusive approach to behavior focused on building relationships, community, behavior skills, and academic achievement. The CALM framework provides teachers with successful behavior strategies that will create a comfortable, safe, respectful, and encouraging learning environment for students and teachers alike.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781506397764 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: