Gilded voices : economics, politics, and storytelling in the Yangzi delta since 1949
- by Qiliang He.
- Leiden : Brill, 2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Ideas, history, and modern China ; v. 5.
- He, Qiliang, 1974-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1: The Pingtan System
- Chapter 2: Cutting the Tail: The Founding of the Shanghai Troupe in the Early 1950s
- Chapter 3: Politics as Entertainments: Middle-length Pingtan Stories in the 1950s and 1960s
- Chapter 4: Between the Association and the State: The Guangyu Incident in
- Chapter 5: Between Accommodation and Resistance: Pingtan Storytelling in the 1960s
- Chapter 6: Beyond Spiritual Pollution: The Odysseys of Su Yuyin and Yang Zijiang
- Chapter 7: Between Nostalgic and Critical: Political Pingtan Stories at the Turn of the New Millennium Epilogue: Re-patronizing Pingtan Storytelling
- List of Interviewees
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
In Gilded Voices: Economics, Politics, and Storytelling in the Yangzi Delta since 1949, Qiliang He pieces together published, archival, and oral history sources to explore the role of the cultural market in mediating between the state and artists in the PRC era. By focusing on pingtan, a storytelling art using the Suzhou dialect, the book documents both the state's efforts to police artists and their repertoire and storytellers' collaboration with, as well as resistance to, state supervision and intervention. The book thereby challenges long-held scholarly assumptions about the Chinese Communist Party's success in politicizing popular culture, patronizing artists, abolishing the cultural market, and enforcing rigid censorship in Mao's times.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Storytelling > China > Yangtze River Delta > History > 20th century.
- Oral tradition > China > Yangtze River Delta > History > 20th century.
- Politics and culture > China > Yangtze River Delta > History > 20th century.
- Yangzte River Delta (China) > Economic conditions.
- Yangzte River Delta (China) > Social conditions.
- Yangzte River Delta (China) > Politics and government.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Folklore & Mythology.
- Economic history.
- Oral tradition.
- Politics and culture.
- Politics and government.
- Social conditions.
- China > Yangtze River Delta.
- Publication date
- Ideas, history, and modern China, 1875-9394 ; v. 5
- 9789004232440 (electronic bk.)
- 9004232443 (electronic bk.)
- 9781280995637 (MyiLibrary)
- 1280995637 (MyiLibrary)