Isaac Vossius (1618-1689), between science and scholarship
- edited by Eric Jorink and Dirk van Miert.
- data file
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Brill's studies in intellectual history ; v. 214.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of illustrations Acknowledgements List of abbreviations Introduction. The Challenger: Isaac Vossius and the European World of Learning Eric Jorink and Dirk van Miert The French Connection: From Casaubon and Scaliger, via Saumaise, to Isaac Vossius Dirk van Miert Isaac Vossius, Chronologer Anthony Grafton Isaac Vossius and the Septuagint Scott Mandelbrote In the Twilight Zone: Isaac Vossius and the Scientific Communities in France, England and the Dutch Republic Eric Jorink A View from a Mountaintop: The Development of Isaac Vossius' Optics, 1658-1666 Fokko Jan Dijksterhuis In the Shadow of Jesuits: Isaac Vossius and Geography Karel Davids Vossius' Chinese Utopia Thijs Weststeijn Isaac Vossius entre Philologie et Philosophie [in French] Colette Nativel Manuscript Notes in Books from the Vossius Collection Susan Derksen Collecting the Ultimate Scholar's Library: The Bibliotheca Vossiana Astrid C. Balsem Epilogue: Isaac Vossius in Context Eric Jorink and Dirk van Miert Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
Mostly remembered for his library and for his biblical criticism, Isaac Vossius (1618-1689) played a central role in the early modern European world of learning. Taking his cue from the unlikely bedfellows Joseph Scaliger and Rene Descartes, Vossius published on chronology, biblical criticism, optics, African geography and Chinese civilization, while collecting, annotating and selling one of the century's most precious libraries. He was appointed an early Fellow of the Royal Society, and moved in the circles which later gave rise to the Academie Royale des Sciences. Together with Christiaan Huygens, he was considered the Dutch Republic's foremost student of nature. In this volume, a range of authors analyse Vossius' participation in the full spectrum of the Republic of Letters, much of which has sadly been written out of the history of both scholarship and science. Contributors include: Anthony Grafton, Scott Mandelbrote, Fokko Jan Dijksterhuis, Karel Davids, Thijs Weststeijn, Colette Nativel, Susan Derksen and Astrid C. Balsem.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Vossius, Isaac, 1618-1689.
- Vossius, Isaac, 1618-1689
- Vossius, Isaac 1618-1689
- Naturalists > Netherlands > Biography.
- Biblical scholars > Netherlands > Biography.
- Europe > History > 17th century.
- Philology > history.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY > Science & Technology.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY > Environmentalists & Naturalists.
- Biblical scholars.
- Publication date
- Brill's studies in intellectual history ; v. 214
- 9789004233119 (electronic bk.)
- 9004233113 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: