The house on Lemon Street : Japanese pioneers and the American dream
- Mark Howland Rawitsch.
- English. English.
- Boulder, Colo. : University Press of Colorado, ©2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- The George and Sakaye Aratani Nikkei in the Americas series
- Rawitsch, Mark Howland, 1950-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Here Is Your Chance
- The Schoolteacher and the Samurai's Daughter
- Here to Stay
- In the Shadow of the Mission Inn
- Pilgrim's Progress
- Little Lamb Gone To Jesus
- The People of California Versus Harada
- World War and a Basket of Apples
- Face to Face
- Keep California White
- The Only Time I See the Sun
- Farewell to Riverside
- Leaving Lemon Street Behind
- Blue Bandanas and an Ironwood Club
- From Issei to Nisei
- Questions of Loyalty
- It's Up To You, Medic
- Epilogue: Sumi's House
- Glossary of Japanese Terms.
- In 1915, Jukichi and Ken Harada purchased a house on Lemon Street in Riverside, California. Close to their restaurant, church, and children's school, the house should have been a safe and healthy family home. Before the purchase, white neighbors objected because of the Haradas' Japanese ancestry, and the California Alien Land Law denied them real-estate ownership because they were not citizens. To bypass the law Mr. Harada bought the house in the names of his three youngest children, who were American-born citizens. Neighbors protested again, and the first Japanese American court test of the.
- Harada, Jukichi, 1875-1944.
- Harada, Ken, 1881-1943.
- Harada, Jukichi, 1875-1944 > Family.
- Harada, Jukichi, 1875-1944 > Trials, litigation, etc.
- Harada, Jukichi.
- Harada, Jukichi, 1875-1944
- Harada, Ken, 1881-1943
- Japanese Americans > California > Riverside > Biography.
- Immigrants > California > Riverside > Biography.
- Riverside (Calif.) > Biography.
- Riverside (Calif.) > Race relations > History > 20th century.
- Japanese Americans > Civil rights > Case studies.
- Immigrants > Civil rights > United States > Case studies.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY > Historical.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Ethnic Studies > Asian American Studies.
- HISTORY > United States > State & Local > West (AK, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY)
- Immigrants > Civil rights
- Japanese Americans
- Japanese Americans > Civil rights
- Race relations
- California > Riverside
- United States
- Publication date
- 9781607321668 (electronic bk.)
- 1607321661 (electronic bk.)
- 9781457117374 (electronic bk.)
- 1457117371 (electronic bk.)
- 9781457117350 (electronic bk.)
- 1457117355 (electronic bk.)