Economic, social, and cultural rights : a textbook
- edited by Asbjørn Eide, Catarina Krause, and Allan Rosas.
- 2nd rev. ed.
- Dordrecht ; Boston : M. Nijhoff Publishers ; Norwell, MA : Sold and distributed in North, Central, and South America by Kluwer Academic Publishers, ©2001.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xvi, 785 pages)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 735-765) and index.
- Economic, social and cultural rights : a universal challenge / Asbjørn Eide, Allan Rosas
- Economic, social and sultural rights as human rights / Asbjørn Eide
- Economic and social rights as legal rights / Martin Scheinin
- The protection of economic and social rights in domestic legal systems / Sandra Liebenberg
- Cultural rights: a social science perspective / Rodolfo Stavenhagen
- The right of self-determination / Allan Rosas
- The rights to development / Allan Rosas
- The right to an adequate standard of living including the right to food / Asbjørn Eide
- The human right to adequate housing / Scott Leckie
- The right to health / Brigit Toebes
- The right to property / Catarina Krause
- The right to social security / Martin Scheinin
- The right to work and wights in work / Krzysztof Drzewicki
- The right to education / Manfred Nowak
- The right to human rights education / Gudmundur Alfredsson
- Cultural rights as individual human rights / Asbjørn Eide
- human rights and protection of the environment / Günther Handl
- Women / Katarina Frostell, Martin Scheinin
- Children / Thomas Hammarberg
- Minorities and indigenous peoples / Anne-Christine Bloch
- Migrant workers / Jan Niessen
- Armed conflicts / Allan Rosas, Monika Sandvik-Nylund
- Implementation mechanisms and remedies / Allan Rosas, Martin Scheinin
- The UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights / Matthew Craven -- Technical cooperation in the field of economic, social and cultural Rights / Gudmundur Alfredsson
- Economic, social and cultural rights in the external relations of the European Union / Allan Rosas
- Protecting social Rights in the European Union / Erika Szyszczak
- International development finance institutions : The World Bank and the International Monetary Fund / Sia Spiliopoulou Akermark
- Indicators / Katarina Tomas̆evski
- The use of indicators in the practice of the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights / Asbjørn Eide
- Obstacles and goals to be pursued / Asbjørn Eide
- Multinational enterprises and emergent jurisprudence on violations of economic, social and cultural rights / Craig Scott.
The Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action, adopted in the World Conference on Human Rights in June 1993, reaffirmed the indivisible and interdependent nature of all human rights. Yet the category of economic, social and cultural rights remains a subject of debate and controversy. The highly successful first edition of this book was the first comprehensive textbook on internationally recognized economic, social and cultural rights. While focusing on this category of rights, it also analysed their relationships to other human rights, civil and political rights in particular. This second edition updates and revises the fist, and supplements it with a number of new chapters. These include chapters on the domestic realisation of economic and social rights, on the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, on economic and social rights in the European Union as well as on multinational enterprises and economic, social and cultural rights. Furthermore, a number of chapters have been written by new authors such as the chapters on the right to health, on human rights and protection of the environment, on women and on international development finance institutions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9789047433866 (electronic bk.)
- 9047433866 (electronic bk.)