Between justice and politics : the Ligue des droits de l'homme, 1898-1945
- William D. Irvine.
- data file.
- Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, 2007.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (269 pages)
- Irvine, William D., 1944-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 225-256) and index.
- @fmct:Contents @toc4:Acknowledgments iii @toc2:Introduction
- 1. Origins, Organization and Structure
- 2. Ici On Ne Fait Pas de la Politique
- 3. Politics, Yes, But Not Electoral Politics
- 4. Liberty With All Its Risks
- 5. The League From Below
- 6. War and Peace - 1914-1934
- 7. From The Popular Front To The Fall Of France
- 8. Vichy Epilogue @toc4:Notes
- 000 Bibliography
- 000 Index 000.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Between Justice and Politics is a history of the first fifty years of the Ligue des droits de l'Homme-the League of the Rights of Man. This is the first book-length study of the Ligue in any language, and it is informed by the recently available archives of the organization. Founded during the Dreyfus Affair, the Ligue took as its mandate the defense of human rights in all their forms. The central argument of this book-and the point on which it differs from all other writings on the subject-is that the Ligue often failed to live up to its mandate because of its simultaneous commitment to left-wing politics. By the late 1930s the Ligue was in disarray, and by the 1940s a number of its members opted to defend the Vichy regime of Marshal Petain.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9781435608825 (electronic bk.)
- 1435608828 (electronic bk.)
- 0804753172 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 9780804753173 (cloth ; alk. paper)