Pens, swords, and the springs of art : the oral poetry dueling of Palestinian weddings in the Galilee
- by Nadia G. Yaqub.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2007.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (x, 378 pages).
- Brill studies in Middle Eastern literatures ; v. 32. 1571-5183
- Yaqub, Nadia G.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 363-369) and index.
- Acknowledgements Introduction Part One: ANALYSIS Memorizing al-Mutanabbi: Poetry Dueling and Poetic Production in Arabic The Making of a Tradition: The History, Language, Context, and Practice of Oral Palestinian Wedding Poetry Composition The Exchange of Gifts Part Two: A TRANSCRIPTION AND TRANSLATION OFHAFLAT IBRAHIM AL-JABARIN A Note on the Transcription, Translation, and Notations Transcription of Haflat Ibrahim al-Jabarin Translation of Haflat Ibrahim al-Jabarin Appendix: Arabic Texts Jarir and al-Akhtal Imru' al-Qays and 'Abid ibn al-Abras Abu Nuwas and 'Abbas ibn Al-Ahnaf Imru' al-Qays and Harith al-Yashkuri Bashshar ibn Burd Andalusian zajal duel Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Offering a detailed analysis of oral poetry dueling performed at traditional Palestinian weddings, this work is unique in addressing poetry dueling as a performative and compositional device, and exploring the complex linkages between this tradition and other genres of Arabic poetry. It includes a study of poetry dueling in standard Arabic; a description of the historical and performance contexts of the Palestinian duels, as well as of poets and their training; an analysis of a single performance; and a re-interpretation of the nature verbal dueling generally. Including a transcription and translation of an entire performance, the book considers the social efficacy of poetry dueling, its aesthetic nature, and its value as a compositional device within a larger system of poetic production.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Brill studies in Middle Eastern literatures, 1571-5183 ; v. 32
- 9789047410348 (electronic bk.)
- 9047410343 (electronic bk.)
- 9004152598 (hardback ; alk. paper)