Creating and maintaining safe college campuses : a sourcebook for evaluating and enhancing safety programs
- edited by Jerlando F.L. Jackson and Melvin Cleveland Terrell ; foreword by Constance B. Clery ; preface by Gregory Roberts.
- 1st ed.
- Sterling, Va. : Stylus, 2007.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xv, 288 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Identifying the problem
- The complexity of maintaining a safe campus in higher education: an administrative dilemma / Jerlando F.L. Jackson, Melvin Cleveland Terrell, and Richie L. Heard
- Institutional and individual-based challenges
- Changing the culture of high-risk drinking / Sudakshina L. Ceglarek and Aaron M. Brower
- Violence abd hate crimes on campus: uncovering the mystique / Darnell G. Cole, Meechai Orsuwan, and Anna Ah Sam
- Why students beat each other: a developmental perspective for a detrimental crime / Walter M. Kimbrough
- Safe campuses for students: systemic transformation through re(A)wakened senior leaders / Susan R. Rankin, Elizabeth A. Roosa Millar, and Christina Matheis
- A growing concern: sexual violence against women on college campuses / Elizabeth M. O'Callaghan
- Institutional context and responses
- Safety in the community college environment / Charlene M. Dukes and Tracy Harris
- A call for community-based education: the state of public safety issues at minority-serving institutions / Marybeth Gasman and Noah D. Drezner
- The role of the campus police and security department in the 21st century: an essay based on
- 30 years of experience / James A. Perrotti
- The incompatability of weapons and college campuses / Charles Cychosz
- The legal implications of campus crime for student affairs professionals / John Wesley Lowery
- Institutional resources
- Exemplar programs and procedures: best practices in public safety / Jerry D. Stewart and John H. Schuh
- You are not alone: resources for the college administrator / Robert D. Reason and Brenda R. Lutovsky
- Elements of a comprehensive safety plan / Delight E. Champagne.
This book serves as a sourcebook to enhance and evaluate safety programs, generate new solutions and interventions, comply with new legislation, and present practical steps and guidelines to establish best practices. It pays particular attention to the factors that may give rise to crime, considering high-risk drinking and examining the intersection between hate crimes and violence. Devoting chapters to discrimination in all its forms, whether against international students, students of color, or on the basis of ethnicity or sexual orientation, it reviews the range of issues relating to harassment and violence against women and engages with hazing and the presence of guns on campus. The authors pay attention to the different circumstances that may apply in specific institutional types, such as community colleges and minority-serving institutions. They offer perspectives from administrators, campus security, student affairs personnel, faculty and policy makers.The purpose is to provide readers with the context and tools to devise a comprehensive safety plan. For administrators operating with few formal support systems, advice is given on how to co-opt individuals and resources from around the campus and the local community to assist in maintaining a safe and welcoming campus.Click here for press release.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Universities and colleges > Security measures > United States.
- Universities and colleges > United States > Safety measures.
- Campus violence > United States > Prevention.
- EDUCATION > Higher.
- Campus violence > Prevention.
- Universities and colleges > Safety measures.
- Universities and colleges > Security measures.
- United States.
- Publication date
- 9781435605701 (electronic bk.)
- 1435605705 (electronic bk.)
- 1579221246 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 9781579221249 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 1579221963 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 9781579221966 (pbk. ; alk. paper)