Conservation of furniture
- Shayne Rivers, Nick Umney.
- data file.
- Oxford, England ; Burlington, MA : Butterworth Heinemann, 2003.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxxiii, 803 pages) : illustrations (some color)
- Butterworth-Heinemann series in conservation and museology.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface-- Furniture history-- Wood and wooden structures-- Upholstery materials and structures-- Plastics and polymers, coatings and binding media, adhesives and consolidants-- Other materials and structures-- General review of environment and deterioration-- Deterioration of wood and wooden structures-- Deterioration of other materials and structures-- Conservation preliminaries-- Principles of conserving and repairing wooden furniture-- Principles of cleaning-- Principles of consolidation, aesthetic reintegration and coatings-- Conserving transparent coatings on wood-- Introduction to traditional gilding-- Conserving other materials I-- Conserving Other Materials II-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book is a comprehensive resource covering the principles and practice of the conservation and restoration of furniture, and other decorative art objects made wholly or partly of wood. It integrates theory with practice to show the principles which govern interaction between wooden objects, the environmental and 3conservation treatments and the factors which need to be taken into account to arrive at acceptable solutions to conservation problems. The practical knowledge and experience of a team of conservators active in the field are bought together with theoretical and reference material from diverse sources and unified within a systematic framework. Specialist conservators from related disciplines cover diverse materials often incorporated into furniture. This unique text provides information and guidance on the full range of a professional furniture conservator's work. You can benefit from the knowledge of an international team of experts. The comprehensive coverage of methodology is applicable to a wide variety of circumstances.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Butterworth-Heinemann series in conservation and museology
- 9780080524641 (electronic bk.)
- 0080524648 (electronic bk.)
- 9781136415371 (e-book: PDF)
- 9781136415326 (e-book: Mobi)
- 9781136415364 (e-book: ePub)