Tradition, Modernity, and Postmodernity in Arabic Literature : Essays in Honor of Professor Issa J. Boullata
- edited by Kamal Abdel-Malek & Wael Hallaq.
- data file.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2000.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xv, 414 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Machine generated contents note: Professor Issa J. Boullata: A Profile of an Intellectual Exile / Kamal Abdel-Malek
- Literary Creativity and the Cultural Heritage: The atlal in Modern Arabic Fiction / Hilary Kilpatrick
- Love, Death, and the Ghost of al-Khansa': The Modern Female Poetic Voice in Fadwa Tuqan's Elegies for Her Brother Ibrahim / Terri DeYoung
- "The December Flower, " a poem by Fadwa Tuqan. Translated from the Arabic / Kamal Abdel-Malek
- Sindbad the Sailor and the Early Arabic Novel / Roger Allen
- "The Infiltrators, " a short story by Hanna Ibrahim. Translated from the Arabic / Kamal Abdel-Malek
- Literary Creativity and Social Change: What has Happened to the Arab Psyche Since the Sixties? A Study in a few Literary Masks / Mona Takieddine Amyuni
- Going Beyond Socialist Realism, Getting Nowhere: Luwis 'Awad's Cross-cultural Encounter with the Other / Adbul-Nabi Isstaif
- "Only Women and Writing Can Save Us from Death": Erotic Empowering in the Poetry of Nizar Qabbani (d. 1998) / Amila Buturovic
- Creativity in the Novels of Emile Habiby, with Special Reference to Sa'id the Pessoptimist / Peter Heath
- Feminism in Revolution: The Case of Sahar Khalifa / Aida A. Bamia
- History, Religion, and the Construction of Subjectivity in Elias Khoury's Rihlat Ghandi al-Saghir / Sabah Ghandour
- Living in Truth / Miriam Cooke
- Modern Arabic Poetry: Vision and Reality / Bassam K. Frangieh
- Al-Balda al-Ukhra: A Meta-Text Un-Veiled / Mona N. Mikhail
- Dr. Ramzi and Mr. Sharaf: Sun'allah Ibrahim and the Duplicity of the Literary Field / Samia Mehrez
- Visual Thinking and the Arab Semantic Memory / Kamal Boullata
- Explorations in Exile and Creativity: The Case of Arab-American Writers / Halim Barakat
- Gibran and the American Literary Canon: the Problem of The Prophet / Irfan Shahid.
The collection of essays contained in this volume is written by a group of prominent scholars of Arabic literature. They explore various manifestations of traditional as well as modern and postmodern themes and techniques in Arabic literature. This is the first time the tripartite concepts of tradition, modernity, and postmodernity in Arabic literary works are explored and analyzed in one volume. It illustrates very clearly the fact that Arabic literature has kept abreast not only of the primarily modern literary movements in the West - that is amply illustrated by many studies to date - but also of the "postmodern condition". Scholars in the fields of Arabic literature, Islamic Studies, Comparative Literature, postmodern studies, among others, will find this collection of essays of great interest.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9004117636 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 9789004117631 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 1417590815 (electronic bk.)
- 9781417590810 (electronic bk.)