Human space exploration : early assessments of NASA's next steps
- Darrel Gibbs, editor.
- New York : Novinka, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Space science, exploration and policies series.
- Gibbs, Darrel, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface-- NASA: Actions Needed to Improve Transparency & Assess Long-Term Affordability of Human Exploration Programs-- Space Launch System: Resources Need to be Matched to Requirements to Decrease Risk & Support Long Term Affordability-- NASA: Human Space Exploration Programs Face Challenges. Statement of Cristina T Chaplain, Director, Acquisition & Sourcing Management, Government Accountability Office-- Hearing on "An Update on the Space Launch System & Orion: Monitoring the Development of the Nations Deep Space Exploration Capabilities". Statement of William H Gerstenmaier, Associate Administrator for Human Exploration & Operations, NASA-- Hearing on "An Update on the Space Launch System & Orion: Monitoring the Development of the Nations Deep Space Exploration Capabilities"-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
NASA is undertaking a trio of closely-related programs to continue human space exploration beyond low-Earth orbit: the SLS vehicle; the Orion capsule, which will launch atop the SLS and carry astronauts; and the supporting ground systems. As a whole, the efforts represent NASA's largest exploration investment over the next decade, potentially as much as $22 billion, to demonstrate initial capabilities. Beyond 2021, NASA plans to incrementally develop progressively more-capable SLS launch vehicles complemented by Orion capsules and ground systems. This book examines the scope of NASA's preliminary cost estimates for the three programs. It examines the SLS program's progress toward and risks for its first test flight in 2017; and the extent to which the SLS program has plans in place to achieve its long-term goals and promote affordability.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Space science, exploration and policies
- 9781634821735 (electronic bk.)
- 1634821734 (electronic bk.)