Perspectives : Romantic, Victorian, and Modern literature
- Jalal Uddin Khan.
- Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom : Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2015.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (498 pages)
- Khan, Jalal Uddin author.
- Includes bibliographical references.
Perspectives: Romantic, Victorian, and Modern Literature is an up-to-date explication of various popular and classic subjects and authors arranged chronologically. The book, composed of thirteen essays, examines Blake; Coleridge; Byron; Shelley; Keats; Victorian medievalism; the Victorian reaction to British India; (Ben) Jonsonian elements in Yeats; Yeats and Maud Gonne; the treatment of the Irish civil war and Irish nationalism in Yeats; and the treatment of the Spanish civil war in the selected works of modern fiction and nonfiction. Marked by an originality of approach and a freshness and simplicity, the book takes note of contemporary theoretical, interdisciplinary and cultural discourse drawn from literature, history, politics and religion as necessary. However, it is far from being unnecessarily outweighed by the loaded cliches, oft-repeated jargon and overused euphemisms of modern literary or critical theory. The result is, regardless of its specialized treatment of otherwise commonplace or well-known texts or topics, that the overall discussion is as lucid, introductory and expository as it is deep and scholarly, making the book easily accessible and understandable to non-specialist readers, in addition to specialist researchers and academics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Romanticism > Great Britain.
- English fiction > 19th century > History and criticism.
- English poetry > 19th century > History and criticism.
- Modernism (Literature) > Great Britain.
- English fiction > 20th century > History and criticism.
- Great Britain > History > Victoria, 1837-1901.
- LITERARY CRITICISM > European > English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh.
- Literary studies: poetry & poets.
- Cultural studies.
- English fiction.
- English poetry.
- Modernism (Literature)
- Great Britain.
- Publication date
- 9781443875073 (electronic bk.)
- 1443875074 (electronic bk.)