The body in language : comparative studies of linguistic embodiment
- edited by Matthias Brenzinger and Iwona Kraska-Szlenk.
- English. English.
- text file
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xiv, 382 pages)
- Brill's studies in language, cognition and culture ; v. 8.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface; Notes on Contributors; The Body in Language: An Introduction; Grammaticalization and Lexicalization Patterns of Body Part Terms; The Body in Language: Observations from Grammaticalization; Grammaticalization of Body-Part Terms in Ethiosemitic; Extending Body-Part Terms in the Domain of Emotions; Corporeal Incorporation and Extension in Dene Sųłiné (Athapaskan) Lexicalization; The Cow's Body as the Source Domain of Philosophical Metaphors in the Rg̣veda: The Case of 'Udder' (ū́dhar); Conceptualization of the Body and Self.
- Our Collocating Body Parts: Recurring Images of Self and Other in the Use of English Body-Part TermsNotions of SELF in Hausa; Embodied Languages and Other Modalities; Hausa Metaphors: Gestural Idioms Containing Body-Part Terms; The Up/Down Orientation in Language and Music; Case Studies from Africa; Embodiment in Zande; Body Parts We Live By in Language and Culture: The raaS 'head' and yidd 'hand' in Tunisian Arabic; What Hands/Arms Can Say: A Corpus-Based Analysis of the Swahili Body-Part Terms Mkono and Mikono; Grammaticalization of Body-Part Terms in Mundabli.
- Whomever It Concerns-Notions of Control, Initiation and Affectedness in Expressions of Body-Centred Activities in MbembeSexual, Impure, Vulgar: An Analysis of the Intimate Body-Part Terms in Egyptian Arabic; Case Studies from Europe; Selected Body-Part Terms as a Means for Conveying Abstract Concepts in The Economist: The Case of Head, Eye, Mouth and Nose; Semiotic Conceptualization of the Human Body and the Case Study of Russian 'Navel'; Author Index; Language Index; Subject Index.
- Publisher's summary
The Body in Language: Comparative studies of Linguistic Embodiment provides new insights into the theory of linguistic embodiment in its universal and cultural aspects. The contributions of the volume offer theoretical reflections on grammaticalization, lexical semantics, philosophy, multimodal communication and - by discussing metaphorization and metonymy in figurative language - on cognitive linguistics in general. Case studies contribute first-hand data on embodiment from more than 15 languages and present findings on the body in language in diverse cultures from various continents. Embodiment fundamentally underlies human conceptualization and the present discussions reveal a wide range of target domains in conceptual transfers with the body as the source domain.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Language and languages > Origin.
- Semantics > Psychological aspects.
- Cognitive grammar.
- Anthropological linguistics.
- Langage et langues > Origines.
- Sémantique > Aspect psychologique.
- Grammaire cognitive.
- anthropological linguistics.
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES > General.
- Publication date
- Brill's studies in language, cognition and culture ; volume 8
- Most of the chapters of the present volume developed from papers presented at the international conference "The Body in Language" held in Warsaw on the 21-22 October 2011
- 9789004274297 (electronic bk.)
- 9004274294 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: