Mo(ve)ments of resistance : politics, economy and society in Israel/Palestine 1931-2013
- Lev Luis Grinberg.
- Boston : Academic Studies Press, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (346 pages).
- Israel (Boston, Mass.)
- Grinberg, Lev Luis, 1953- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : political spaces and mo(ve)ments of resistance
- An Arab-Jewish civil society struggle against the British colonial government
- Wadi Salib riots : culminating a decade of ethnic discrimination
- the Action Committees' revolt : full employment crisis, failed democratization and state expansion
- the Black Panthers movement : ethnic tensions and "left-right" tribal polarization
- Forum/13 powerful workers : hyperinflation and the challenge to state autonomy
- the Intifada : the Palestinian resistance mo(ve)ment
- the J14 mo(ve)ment : the emergence of the occupy repertoire of resistance
- Conclusion : on the dynamics of political spaces
- time, movement, actors and masses.
In Mo(ve)ments of Resistance, Grinberg summarizes both his own work and that of other political economists, providing a coherent historical narrative covering the time from the beginning of Socialist Zionism (1904) to the Oslo Accords and the neoliberalization of the economy (1994aEURO"1996). The theoretical approach of the book combines eventful sociology, path dependency, and institutional political economy. Grinberg argues that historical political events have been shaped not only by political and economic forces but also by resistance struggles of marginal and weaker social groups: organized workers, Palestinians, and Mizrachi Jews. Major turning points in history, like the Separation War in 1948, the military occupation in 1967, and the Oslo peace process in 1993, are explained in the context of previous social and economic resistance struggles that affected the political outcomes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Movements of resistance : politics, economy and society in Israel/Palestine 1931-2013
- Moments of resistance : politics, economy and society in Israel/Palestine 1931-2013
- Politics, economy and society in Israel/Palestine 1931-2013
- Israel : society, culture and history
- 9781618110695 (electronic bk.)
- 1618110691 (electronic bk.)
- 9781618117908 (electronic bk.)
- 1618117904 (electronic bk.)
- 9781936235414 (hardback)