Perspectives on Western Sahara : Myths, Nationalisms, and Geopolitics
- data file.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2014.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (355 pages)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction Part I. Setting the Context
- 1. A History of the Conflict in Western Sahara Osama Abi-Mershed and Adam Farrar
- 2. The Identity Question: Who are the Sahrawis and What is Their `Home'? Joshua Castellino and Elvira Dominguez-Redondo Part II. The Background for the Current Impasse
- 3. Moroccan Saharan Policy I William Zartman
- 4. The Emergence and Politics of the Polisario Front Stephen J. King
- 5. The Algerian Foreign Policy on Western Sahara Laurence Aida Ammour
- 6. The Evolving Role of the United Nations: The Impossible Dual Track? Jacques Roussellier
- 7. Diplomatic struggle in Africa and Europe over the Western Sahara Conflict Antonin Tisseron
- 8. The Evolution of US and Moroccan Policy on Western Sahara: From Conflict to Cooperation Ambassador Edward M. Gabriel & Robert M. Holley Part III. Dynamics of Optimal Solutions
- 9. Dynamics of Intergroup Conflicts in the Western Sahara Anouar Boukhars
- 10. Self-Determination for Western Sahara: The Evolution of a Concept Samuel J. Spector
- 11. The Use and Development of Natural Resources in Non-Self-Governing Territories Glynn Torres-Spelliscy
- 12. Refugees, Humanitarian Aid, and the Displacement Impasse in Sahrawi Camps Aomar Boum
- 13. Western Sahara: a Conflict on the Fringes of New Regional Dynamics Dr. Khadija Mohsen-Finan
- 14. Conclusion Dr. J. Peter Pham.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This thorough, impartial survey brings together some of the best experts on the Sahara question to provide a broad-based analysis of the problem from a range of perspectives. Featuring new research, the chapters examine the roots of the conflict, its dynamics, and potential solutions. Perspectives on Western Sahara also addresses questions of law, human rights, and natural resources from an analytical point of view. Contributed by scholars from North Africa, Europe, and the United States, it is an essential contribution to the literature of Middle East and African studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Western Sahara > Politics and government.
- Western Sahara > International status.
- Geopolitics > Western Sahara.
- Sahrawi (African people) > History.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Essays.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Government > General.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Government > National.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Reference.
- International law.
- Politics and government
- Sahrawi (African people)
- Western Sahara.
- Publication date
- 9781442226869 (electronic bk.)
- 1442226862 (electronic bk.)
- 9781442226852 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 1442226854 (cloth ; alk. paper)