The Politics of Female Households : Ladies-in-Waiting Across Early Modern Europe
- edited by Nadine Akkerman and Birgit Houben.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2014.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Rulers & elites ; v. 4.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgements, Abbreviations, List of illustrations, List of contributors Introduction Nadine Akkerman and Birgit Houben
- PART 1. TUDOR ENGLAND 1.`Petticoats and Politics: Elisabeth Parr and Female Agency at the Early Elizabethan Court' Helen Graham-Matheson 2.`Jane Dormer's Recipe for Politics: A Refuge Household in Spain for Mary Tudor's Ladies-in-waiting' Hannah Leah Crumme
- PART 2. HABSBURGS I. THE IMPERIAL COURT IN VIENNA 3.`Ladies-in-waiting at the Imperial Court of Vienna from 1550 to
- 1700: Structures, Responsibilities and Career Patterns' Katrin Keller 4.`"In service to my Lady, the Empress, as I have done every other day of my life": Margarita of Cardona, Baroness of Dietrichstein and Lady-in-waiting of Maria of Austria' Vanessa de Cruz
- II. THE COURT IN THE SPANISH NETHERLANDS 5.`Women and the Politics of Access at the Court of Brussels: The Infanta Isabella's Camareras Mayores (1598-1633)' Birgit Houben & Dries Raeymaekers 6.`Dwarfs - and a Loca - as Ladies' Maids at the Spanish Habsburg Courts' Janet Ravenscroft
- PART 3. FRANCE 7.` "A Stable of Whores"?: The "Flying Squadron" of Catherine de Medici' Una McIlvenna 8.`In Search of the Ladies-in-Waiting and Maids of Honour of Mary, Queen of Scots: A Prosoprographical Analysis of the Female Household' Rosalind K. Marshall 9.`Clients and Friends: The Ladies-in-waiting at the Court of Anne of Austria (1615-66)' Oliver Mallick
- PART 4. THE STUART COURTS 10.`Perceptions of Influence: The Catholic Diplomacy of Queen Anna and Her Ladies, 1601-4' Cynthia Fry 11.`The Goddess of the Household: The Masquing Politics of Lucy Harington-Russell, Countess of Bedford' Nadine Akkerman 12.`The Female Bedchamber of Queen Henrietta Maria: Politics, Familial Networks and Policy, 1626-40' Sara J. Wolfson
- PART 5. THE SWEDISH COURT 13.`Living in the House of Power: Women at the Early Modern Swedish Court' Fabian Persson Epilogue `The Politics of Female Households: Afterthoughts' Jeroen Duindam Bibliography Index of Names.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The Politics of Female Households is the first collection that seeks to integrate ladies-in-waiting into the master narrative of early modern court studies. Presenting evidence and analysis of the multifarious ways in which `women above stairs' shaped the European courts of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, it argues for a re-assessment of their political influence. The cultural agency of ladies-in-waiting is viewed in the reflection of portraiture, pamphlets and masques: their political dealings and patronage are revealed through analysis of letters, family networks, career patterns, gift exchange and household structures, as well as their activities in the fields of intelligence-gathering and espionage. By concentrating on a previously neglected area of female agency, this collection demonstrates clearly that the political climate of Europe was often shaped outside the male-dominated institutions of government and administration. Contributors include: Helen Graham-Matheson, Hannah Leah Crumme, Katrin Keller, Vanessa de Cruz, Birgit Houben, Dries Raeymaekers, Janet Ravenscroft, Una McIlvenna, Rosalind K. Marshall, Oliver Mallick, Cynthia Fry, Nadine Akkerman, Sara J. Wolfson, Fabian Persson, and Jeroen Duindam.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Ladies-in-waiting > Europe > History > 16th century.
- Ladies-in-waiting > Europe > History > 17th century.
- Ladies-in-waiting > Europe > Biography.
- Europe > Politics and government > 1492-1648.
- Courts and courtiers > History > 16th century.
- Courts and courtiers > History > 17th century.
- Women > Europe > Biography.
- HISTORY > Europe > Western.
- Courts and courtiers.
- Politics and government
- Publication date
- Rulers & elites : comparative studies in governance ; volume 4
- 9789004258396 (electronic bk.)
- 9004258396 (electronic bk.)
- 130608251X (electronic bk.)
- 9781306082518 (electronic bk.)