The Highland lady in Ireland : journals 1840-50
- Elizabeth Grant of Rothiemurchus ; edited by Patricia Pelly, & Andrew Tod ; introduced by Andrew Tod.
- Edinburgh : Canongate Press, 1991.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xiii, 564 pages).
- Canongate classics ; 41.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
'They have made an Irishwoman of you now, and may they know the value of the daughter they adopted into their country.' Elizabeth Grant's sister The early life of Elizabeth Grant of Rothiemurchus, so memorably recorded in her Memoirs of a Highland Lady has had an avid readership since the book's first publication in 1898. This volume takes up the story after she arrives in Ireland, following her marriage to Colonel Smith of Baltiboys. This journal, begun in 1840, will be recognisable to her many followers by the charm, vigour and intelligence that fill every page. They vividly depict the day to day life of her family, her immense efforts to improve the Baltiboys estate and how she coped with the terrible ravages of famine. Her sharp observations of all classes of society however, from corrupt landowners to the poor and often dissolute farm-workers, make this book a memorable and important chronicle of her times and a unique contribution to the social history of Ireland.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Grant, Elizabeth, 1797-1885 > Homes and haunts > Ireland.
- Grant, Elizabeth, 1797-1885 > Diaries.
- Grant, Elizabeth, 1797-1885.
- Ireland > Social life and customs > 19th century > Sources.
- Ireland > History > 1837-1901 > Sources.
- Women > Ireland > Diaries.
- Scots > Ireland > Diaries.
- Ireland > Biography.
- HISTORY > Europe > Ireland.
- Manners and customs.
- Social life
- History, 1799-1846
- Publication date
- Canongate classics ; 41
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9781847675392 (electronic bk.)
- 1847675395 (electronic bk.)