Healing the Wounded Giant : Maintaining Military Preeminence While Cutting the Defense Budget
- Michael O'Hanlon.
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xiii, 100 pages) : illustrations
- O'Hanlon, Michael E.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- American defense strategy and grand strategy
- Army and Marine Corps force structure
- Air Force and Navy Force structure
- Nuclear weapons, missile defense, and intelligence
- Military compensation and Pentagon reforms
- Conclusion-and the implications of prolonged sequestration or the equivalent
President Barack Obama survived a tenuous economy and a toxic political environment to win re-election in 2012, but the bitter partisan divide in Washington survived as well. So did the country's huge fiscal deficit. in this, the latest in a long line of Brookings Institution analyses of the defense budget, Michael O'Hanlon considers how best to balance national security and fiscal responsibility during a period of prolonged economic stress and political acrimony - even as the world remains unsettled, from Afghanistan to Iran to Syria to the western Pacific region. O'Hanlon explains why the large defense cuts that would result from prolonged sequestration or from deficit-reduction projects such as the Bowles-Simpson plan are too deep. But the bulk of his book represents an effort to look for greater savings than the Obama administration's 2012 proposals would allow.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- United States. Department of Defense > Appropriations and expenditures.
- United States. Department of Defense.
- National security > United States > Finance.
- United States > Armed Forces > Appropriations and expenditures.
- United States > Military policy.
- United States > Politics and government > 2009-2017.
- HISTORY > Military > Other.
- TECHNOLOGY & ENGINEERING > Military Science.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > American Government > General.
- Armed Forces > Appropriations and expenditures.
- Expenditures, Public.
- Military policy.
- National security > Finance.
- Politics and government
- United States.
- Electronic book.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Maintaining military preeminence while cutting the defense budget
- 9780815724865 (electronic bk.)
- 0815724861 (electronic bk.)
- 1299557473 (electronic bk.)
- 9781299557475 (electronic bk.)