Law, governance, and justice : new views on medieval constitutionalism
- edited by Richard W. Kaeuper with the assistance of Paul Dingman and Peter Sposato.
- Leiden : Brill, 2013.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Medieval law and its practice ; v. 14.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface ... vii List of Contributors ... ix Debating Law, Justice and Constitutionalism ... 1 *Richard W. Kaeuper The Anglo-Saxon Origins of English Constitutionalism ... 15 *James Campbell Orality and Literacy in the Age of the Angevin Law Reforms ... 27 *Paul Hyams Between England and France: A Cross-Channel Legal Culture in the Late Thirteenth Century ... 73 *Thomas J. McSweeney The Development of Written Custom in England and in France: A Comparative Perspective ... 101 *Ada-Maria Kuskowski Success and Failure of the Medieval Constitution in 1341 ... 121 *Scott Waugh Parliamentary Scrutiny of Royal Ministers and Courtiers in Fourteenth-Century England: The Disgrace of Sir John atte Lee (1368) ... 161 *W. Mark Ormrod The Altered Perspective of Thomas Walsingham's Symbol of Normandy ... 189 *Christopher Guyol Centre and Locality: Perceptions of the Assize Justices in Late Medieval England ... 211 *Anthony Musson The Common Voice in Theory and Practice in Late Fourteenth Century England ... 243 *Andrew Galloway Landscape and the Identity of the Realm ... 287 *Lynn Staley The People, Politics and the Constitution in the Fifteenth Century ... 311 *Anthony Pollard Law, Justice, and Governance: New Views on Medieval Constitutionalism ... 331 *G.W. Bernard Index ... 343.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
How law is made, how governance works, and the response of the governed remain crucial modern questions whose roots in many parts of the world reach deep into the past of medieval England. Scholars have long discussed these issues and new perspectives regularly emerge. This volume brings together contemporary views from leaders in the field and from younger scholars, both historians and literary critics. Classic themes and incidents are creatively revisited and new avenues of approach are suggested.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Medieval law and its practice ; v. 14
- Includes index.
- 9004236422 (electronic bk.)
- 9789004236424 (electronic bk.)
- 9789004235908 (hardback)
- 9004235906 (hardback)