Historical dictionary of ancient and medieval Nubia
- Richard A. Lobban, Jr.
- English. English.
- data file
- Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, ©2004.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (lx, 511 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Historical dictionaries of ancient civilizations and historical eras ; no. 10.
- Lobban, Richard.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 437-509) and index.
- Part 1 Editor's Forewrod
- Part 2 Acknowledgments
- Part 3 Preface
- Part 4 Spelling and Alphabetical Conventions and Abbreviations
- Part 5 Maps
- Part 6 Chronology
- Part 7 Introduction
- Part 8 Illustrations
- Part 9 THE DICTIONARY
- Part 10 Appendix
- Chapter 11 I. Main Language Groups Associated with Ancient Nubia
- Chapter 12 II. New Kingdom Viceroys of Nubia
- Chapter 13 III. Proposed Reconstruction of Kinship in the 25th Dynasty
- Chapter 14 IV. 25th Dynasty Dynamics
- Chapter 15 V. Near Eastern Dynasties in the Ninth to Seventh Centuries BCE
- Chapter 16 VI. The Salvage of Ancient Nubian Temples in Egypt
- Chapter 17 VII. The Salvage of Ancient Nubian Temples in Sudan
- Chapter 18 VIII. Implications of the High Dam at Aswan
- Chapter 19 IX. Table of Meroitic Hieroglyphs and Cursive
- Part 20 Bibliography
- Chapter 21 Introduction
- Chapter 22 I. General or Survey References
- Chapter 23 II. Bibliographies
- Chapter 24 III. Prehistoric and Early Neolithic Times
- Chapter 25 IV. A-Group, C-Group, and Relations with Dynastic Egypt
- Chapter 26 V. Kerma (Yam)
- Chapter 27 VI. 25th Dynasty and Early Napatan Times
- Chapter 28 VII. Late Napatan and Meroitic Times
- Chapter 29 VIII. Greco-Roman Times
- Chapter 30 IX. Post-Meroitic Times
- Chapter 31 X. Christian and Medieval Nubia
- Chapter 32 XI. Early Travelers
- Chapter 33 XII. Arabic Sources
- Chapter 34 XIII. M.A. Theses, Ph.D. Dissertations, and Related Publications
- Chapter 35 XIV. Children's and Specialty Books and Films
- Chapter 36 XV. Modern Nubian Salvage and Relocation (Low Dam and High Dam)
- Chapter 37 XVI. Museums and Archives
- Chapter 38 XVII. Geology of Nubia and Sudan
- Chapter 39 XVIII. Language
- Chapter 40 XIX. Modern Nubian Region Ethnography
- Part 41 About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
The Historical Dictionary of Ancient and Medieval Nubia covers the period from the Paleolithic, all the periods of ancient Nubia (Predynastic, Kerma, Dynasty XXV, Napatan, Meroitic, Post-Meroitic) and to the end of medieval Christianity in Nubia (Sudan). This resource focuses on Nubian history through a Nubian perspective, rather than on the more common Egypto-centrism perspective, and the coverage is based on the latest and best archaeological and epigraphic evidence. Newly created maps of the general area and its specific regions and place names and a photospread showing important related features of the region are included. A detailed chronology provides a timeline of historical events, and an introductory narrative shapes the overall history and leads to the main body of the work in the form of a cross-referenced dictionary. The descriptive entries cover the main features of the region in the various periods that are key not only to Nubian events, but also to the important interactions they had with Egypt to the north. Nine appendices and an extensive bibliography conclude this work. Lobban has been teaching Nubian studies in undergraduate classrooms for thirty years, and this book is a product of his hands-on experiences as well as extensive anthropological fieldwork and travel in Sudanese and Egyptian Nubia.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Historical dictionaries of ancient civilizations and historical eras ; no. 10
- 9780810865785 (electronic bk.)
- 0810865785 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: