Studies on science and the innovation process : selected works
- by Nathan Rosenberg.
- Singapore ; Hackensack, NJ : World Scientific, ©2010.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xvi, 412 pages) : illustrations
- Rosenberg, Nathan, 1927-2015.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Changing Technological Leadership and Industrial Growth-- Endogenous Forces in 20th Century America-- America's Entrepreneurial Universities-- The Role of Electricity in Industrial Development-- Why Do Firms Do Basic Research?-- Medical Innovations: Some Critical Episodes in the Progress of Medical Innovation: An Anglo-American Perspective-- Capturing the Unexpected Benefits of Medical Research-- Chemicals: Chemical Engineering as a General Purpose Technology-- Successful Commercialization in the Chemical Process Industries-- A General Purpose Technology at Work: The Corliss Steam Engine in the Late 19th Century US-- and other papers.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Science and technology have become increasingly intertwined in the twentieth century. However, little attention has been paid to the forces that have brought about this condition. Indeed, many scholars have taken it simply for granted that causality always runs from science to technology. In this groundbreaking book, Rosenberg's research suggests that history and extensive empirical evidence lead to a reality that is far more complex as well as far more interesting. Here, Rosenberg's papers explore a wide range of pertinent issues, especially those connected with the innovative process, including the realms of electric power, electronics, chemicals, aircraft, medicine, instrumentation and, in particular, higher education and the organization of research activities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Technological innovations > Economic aspects > United States.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Public Policy > Economic Policy.
- Technological innovations > Economic aspects.
- United States.
- Wissenschaftlicher Fortschritt
- Entwicklung > 1.1/x.
- Wirtschaftswachstum > 1.2/x.
- Wissenschaft > 1.3/x.
- Technischer Fortschritt > 1.4/x.
- Publication date
- 9789814273596 (electronic bk.)
- 9814273597 (electronic bk.)