Stranger in our midst : images of the Jew in Polish literature
- edited with an introduction by Harold B. Segel.
- data file.
- Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 1996.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xiv, 402 pages) : illustrations
- JSTOR EBA.
- Segel, Harold B., 1930-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 401-402).
- "Poem about Jews" / Jan Dantyszek (Ioannes Dantiscus)
- Principles of Law of the Polish Land / Jan Tarnowski
- Catechism of the Secrets of the Polish Government as Written about the Year 1735 by the Esteemed Mr. Sterne in the English Language, Later Translated into French, and Now Finally into Polish / Franciszek Salezy Jezierski
- "Jews" / Stanislaw Staszic
- Levi and Sarah / Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz
- The Year 3333, or an Incredible Dream / Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz
- Pan Tadeusz / Adam Mickiewicz
- "Israel in Poland" / Andrzej Towianski
- Collocation / Jozef Korzeniowski
- "Polish Jews" / Cyprian Kamil Norwid
- The Jew: Contemporary Images / Jozef Ignacy Kraszewski
- Letters from America / Henryk Sienkiewicz
- "Mighty Samson" / Eliza Orzeszkowa
- Meir Ezofowicz / Eliza Orzeszkowa
- "Chava Ruby" / Aleksander Swietochowski
- "El mole rachmim ..." / Wiktor Gomulicki
- "The Tailor" / Klemens Junosza (Szaniawski).
A vibrant Jewish community flourished in Poland from late in the tenth century until it was virtually annihilated in World War II. In this remarkable anthology, the first of its kind, Harold B. Segel offers translations of poems and prose works - mainly fiction - by non-Jewish Polish writers. Taken together, the selections represent the complex perceptions about Jews in the Polish community in the period 1530-1990.
- As Segel explains in his thorough and enlightening introduction, Polish literary responses to the huge community of Jewish "strangers" in their midst illuminate both the important Jewish dimension of Polish history and a major current in the history of Polish literature.
- Polish literature > Translations into English.
- Jews > Poland > Literary collections.
- Polish literature.
- Littérature polonaise > Traductions anglaises > Anthologies.
- Juifs > Pologne > Anthologies.
- LITERARY CRITICISM / Jewish
- Polish literature
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9781501718298 (electronic bk.)
- 1501718290 (electronic bk.)
- 0801428653 (cl. ; alk. paper)
- 9780801428654 (cl. ; alk. paper)
- 080148104X (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 9780801481048 (pbk. ; alk. paper)