Child welfare : connecting research, policy and practice
- edited by Kathleen Kufeldt and Brad McKenzie.
- Waterloo, Ont. : Wilfrid Laurier University Press, ©2003.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xii, 479 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 439-473).
- Introduction: Child welfare research and development in a national context
- 1. Incidence and characteristics of child maltreatment
- 2. The continuum of care
- 3. Connecting research, policy, and practice
- 4. The future of child welfare.
In 1994 a group of researchers and decision makers met to discuss the state of child welfare. Also present were a few practitioners and two youth in care. Six years later, when they met again, the number of practitioners and youth had grown considerably and were joined by a strong contingent of foster parents. Thus the findings and insights presented were affirmed or challenged by those most affected a those on the front line. It was an exciting event, worth capturing in book form. Kathleen Kufeldt and Brad McKenzie have gathered the papers presented at the 2000 Symposium and have organized them under four themes: incidence and characteristics of child maltreatment; the continuum of care; policy and practice; and future directions. An analysis and synthesis of the work informs each of these themes, while an eight-point research agenda developed in an earlier symposium is used to assess developments to date and provide guidance for the future. Contributors include many well-known researchers such as Claire Chamberland, Jim Anglin, Sally Palmer, Darlene Sykes, Cindy Blackstock, Nico TrocmA (c), Fay Martin, and Richard Budgell. The richness of the information will interest all helping professionals, researchers, and students. It will also appeal to those whose interest has been piqued by the highly publicized failures of the system.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Child welfare > Canada.
- Child welfare > Research > Canada.
- Jeunesse > Protection, assistance, etc. > Canada.
- Jeunesse > Protection, assistance, etc. > Recherche > Canada.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Public Policy > Social Security.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Public Policy > Social Services & Welfare.
- Child welfare.
- Child welfare > Research.
- Electronic book.
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9780889207394 (electronic bk.)
- 0889207399 (electronic bk.)
- 9780889203921 (pbk.)
- 088920392X (pbk.)