- Michel de Montaigne ; translated by Charles Cotton ; edited by William Carew Hazlitt.
- Uniform Title
- Essais. English
- English. In English, translated from French.
- [Waiheke Island] : Floating Press, ©2009.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Untitled; Contents; VOLUME 1.; Preface; The Life of Montaigne; The Letters of Montaigne.; The Author to the Reader.
- (Omitted by Cotton.); VOLUME 2.;
- Chapter I
- That Men by Various Ways Arrive at the Same End.;
- Chapter II
- Of Sorrow;
- Chapter III
- That Our Affections Carry Themselves Beyond Us;
- Chapter IV
- That the Soul Expends Its Passions Upon False Objects, where the True Are Wanting;
- Chapter V
- Whether the Governor of a Place Besieged Ought Himself to Go Out to Parley;
- Chapter VI
- That the Hour of Parley Dangerous;
- Chapter VII
- That the Intention is Judge of Our Actions.
- Chapter VIII
- Of Idleness
- Chapter IX
- Of Liars;
- Chapter X
- Of Quick or Slow Speech;
- Chapter XI
- Of Prognostications;
- Chapter XII
- Of Constancy; VOLUME 3.;
- Chapter XIII
- The Ceremony of the Interview of Princes;
- Chapter XIV
- That Men Are Justly Punished for Being Obstinate in the Defence of a Fort That is Not in Reason to Be Defended;
- Chapter XV
- Of the Punishment of Cowardice;
- Chapter XVI
- A Proceeding of Some Ambassadors.
- Essays is a book written by Michel de Montaigne that was first published in 1580. Montaigne essentially invented the literary form of essay, a short subjective treatment of a given topic, of which the book contains a large number. Essai is French for "trial" or "attempt". Montaigne wrote in a kind of crafted rhetoric designed to intrigue and involve the reader, sometimes appearing to move in a stream-of-thought from topic to topic and at other times employing a structured style which gives more emphasis to the didactic nature of his work.
- Publication date
- "From a 1877 edition."--Page 2.
- 9781775415862 (electronic bk.)
- 1775415864 (electronic bk. ; Adobe Digital Editions)
- 9781775415862 (electronic bk. ; Mobipocket Reader)
- 1775415864 (electronic bk. ; Mobipocket Reader)