The vegetarian myth : food, justice, and sustainability
- Lierre Keith.
- data file
- A Flashpoint Press First edition.
- Crescent City, CA : Flashpoint Press ; Oakland, CA : PM Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (312 pages) : illustrations
- Keith, Lierre, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 297-309).
- Why this book?
- Moral vegetarians
- Political vegetarians
- Nutritional vegetarians
- To save the world.
- "Part memoir, nutritional primer, and political manifesto, this controversial examination exposes the destructive history of agriculture-causing the devastation of prairies and forests, driving countless species extinct, altering the climate, and destroying the topsoil-and asserts that, in order to save the planet, food must come from within living communities. In order for this to happen, the argument champions eating locally and sustainably and encourages those with the resources to grow their own food. Further examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of both human and environmental health, the account goes beyond health choices and discusses potential moral issues from eating-or not eating-animals. Through the deeply personal narrative of someone who practiced veganism for 20 years, this unique exploration also discusses alternatives to industrial farming, reveals the risks of a vegan diet, and explains why animals belong on ecologically sound farms"--Provided by publisher.
- Vegetarianism > Moral and ethical aspects.
- Food industry and trade.
- Food > Marketing > Moral and ethical aspects.
- Sustainable agriculture.
- Agriculture > Environmental aspects.
- HEALTH & FITNESS > Nutrition.
- HEALTH & FITNESS > Diets.
- MEDICAL > Nutrition.
- MEDICAL > Nursing > Nutrition.
- HEALTH & FITNESS > Food Content Guides.
- HEALTH & FITNESS > Diet & Nutrition > Nutrition.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781604861808 (electronic bk.)
- 1604861800 (electronic bk.)
- 9781604861822 (electronic bk.)
- 1604861827 (electronic bk.)
- 9781604860801 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 1604860804 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Publisher number
Browse related items
Start at call number: