Contemporary parenting and parenthood : from news headlines to new research
- Michelle Y. Janning, editor.
- Santa Barbara, California : Praeger, An Imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xv, 351 pages ; 25 cm
- Janning, Michelle Yvonne, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Helicopter parents : a new moral panic? / Margaret K. Nelson
- World's okay-est mom : the adaptive management parent / Valerie Adrian
- The changing landscape of parent-adult child relations / Joshua Coleman
- Parenthood in the age of apps and mommy blogs : technology and digital culture in parent-child relations / Michelle Y. Janning
- Parenthood and mental health in the U.S. : why don't children improve adults' emotional well-being / Robin W. Simon
- Parental leave programs : what do we know about designing good policies? / Ankita Patnaik
- The promise and limits of work-family supports in a shifting policy landscape : a double bind for working mothers in western Germany / Caitlyn Collins
- Parenthood and leisure time disparities / Liana Sayer
- Understanding inequality : children, consumer culture and the empathy framework / Allison Pugh
- Do we talk about race/ethnicity with our children or not? Variations in parental ethnic-racial socialization strategies / Erin Pahlke
- What do visas have to do with parenting? Middle-class dependent visa holders and transcultural parenting / Pallavi Banerjee
- Lost in detention and deportation, found through foster care and adoption : reviewing the tensions between family building and human rights in the United States / Pamela Anne Quiroz
- Child well being in same-gender parent families : courts, media, and social science research / Marshal Neal Fettro and Wendy D. Manning
- Reproducing family : how parents accept their LGB children's good families / Taylor Field Quiroga.
Headlines from news sources are combined with the latest and best social science research to offer scholars, practitioners, and parents a much-needed source for understanding contemporary American parenthood. * Includes up-to-date research on parenting topics covered in news stories * Incorporates the expertise of editor Michelle Janning, an award-winning teacher and leader in national organizations dedicated to family studies * Helps to clarify parenting debates through sociological inquiry, instead of giving advice on how to parent * Serves multiple audiences, including students and practitioners in professions working with parent-child relationships, scholars looking for the best new research in the field of parenting and parenthood, and parents who want to understand the larger context in which they operate on a daily basis * Offers a range of viewpoints on parenting issues in a clearly organized format.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781440855924 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 1440855927 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 9781440855931 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: