Matamata and Pilipili
- Videocam [and 3 others] present ; directed by Tristan Bourlard ; coproducteurs, Georges Kamanayo, Kathleen De Bethune, Guy Seligmann.
- French, English, Dutch. In French and Dutch with English subtitles.
- [Brooklyn, New York] : [Distributed by] Icarus Films, 
- Physical description
- 1 streaming video file (55 min.) : digital, sound, color and black and white
- Bourlard, Tristan, film director, commentator.
- Haelst, Albert van, film director.
- Kamanayo, Georges, film producer.
- Bet́hune, Kathleen de, film producer.
- Seligmann, Guy, film producer.
- Bruneau, Sophie, commentator.
- Jespers, Jean-Jacques, 1946- narrator.
- Vidéocam (Firm), production company.
- Cobra Films, production company.
- Centre de l'audiovisuel à Bruxelles, production company.
- Icarus Films, distributor.
- In the 1950s, Albert Van Haelst, a Belgian missionary and film fanatic, made the Matamata and Pilipili series of films in the Congo. The original negatives disappeared at the end of the colonial period, and, until Tristan Bourlard recovered them in a Belgian archive and produced this documentary, the films had never been viewed outside of Africa. Through them, and through the story of their creation, their reception by Congolese audiences, their disappearance, and what happened to Van Haelst and his two Congolese stars, Matamata and Pilipili reclaims an important episode in Congolese cultural history, while exploring the complex terrain of colonial relationships, media representations and popular culture.
- Haelst, Albert van > Criticism and interpretation.
- Comedy films > Congo (Democratic Republic) > History and criticism.
- Congo (Democratic Republic) > Social conditions.
- Congo (Democratic Republic) > History > 1908-1960.
- Belgium > Colonies > Africa > History.
- Comedy films.
- Release date
- Production date
- Title from title frames.
- Originally produced by: Videocam, Cobra Films, CBA, ©1996; previously released in 1997.
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- Production Credits
- Image: Gilles Stassart, Frederic Decoux, Jean-Marc Vervoort ; montage: Yves Van Herstraeten.
- Commentaire, Tristan Boulard, Sophie Bruneau ; voix du narateur, Jean-Jacques Jespers.
- 10 and up.
- System requirements: Firefox 4 and up; Safari 5.0 and up; Chrome version 21 and up; Internet Explorer 8 and up; Flash or HTML5 player.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Publisher Number
- if-mata Docuseek2