Law and the Russian state : Russia's legal evolution from Peter the Great to Vladimir Putin
- William E. Pomeranz.
- London ; New York ; Oxford ; New Delhi ; Sydney : Bloomsbury Academic, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 228 pages ; 24 cm.
- Bloomsbury history of modern Russia series.
- Pomeranz, William E., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -218) and index.
- Law and empire under Peter the Great
- The expansion of Russian legality
- The judicial reforms of 1864 and the modernization of imperial law
- Law, politics, and revolution
- Filling in the blanks : the creation of socialist law
- Socialist legality and illegality
- Russia's long constitutional crisis : 1985-1993
- The 1993 Constitution : a framework for reform
- Vladimir Putin and the restoration of state and law
Russia is often portrayed as a regressive, even lawless country, and yet the Russian state has played a major role in shaping and experimenting with law as an instrument of power. In Law and the Russian State, William E. Pomeranz examines Russia's legal evolution from Peter the Great to Vladimir Putin, addressing the continuities and disruptions of Russian law during the imperial, Soviet, and post-Soviet. The book covers key themes, including: * Law and empire * Law and modernization * The politicization of law * The role of intellectuals and dissidents in mobilizing the law * The evolution of Russian legal institutions * The struggle for human rights * The rule-of-law * The quest to establish the law-based state It also analyzes legal culture and how Russians understand and use the law. With a detailed bibliography, this is an important text for anyone seeking a sophisticated understanding of how Russian society and the Russian state have developed in the last 350 years.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Sociological jurisprudence > Russia.
- Sociological jurisprudence > Russia (Federation) > History.
- Sociological jurisprudence > Soviet Union.
- Constitutional history > Russia (Federation)
- Constitutional law > Russia.
- Constitutional law > Soviet Union.
- Constitutional history.
- Constitutional law.
- Sociological jurisprudence.
- Russia (Federation)
- Soviet Union.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Russia's legal evolution from Peter the Great to Vladimir Putin
- The Bloomsbury history of modern Russia series
- 9781474224222 (hardcover)
- 1474224229 (hardcover)
- 9781474224246 (eBook)
- 9781474224239 (ePDF)
Browse related items
Start at call number: