Language, gender and parenthood online : negotiating motherhood in mumsnet talk
- Jai Mackenzie.
- London ; New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- ix, 123 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Routledge focus on language and social media
- Mackenzie, Jai, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 111-119) and index.
- Chapter 1. Introduction--
- Chapter 2. Analyzing language, gender and parenthood online: a feminist poststructuralist approach--
- Chapter 3. Constructing gender and parenthood in digital contexts--
- Chapter 4. Researching Mumsnet Talk--
- Chapter 5. Discourses of gendered parenthood in Mumsnet Talk--
- Chapter 6. Negotiating, resisting and subverting discourses of gendered parenthood in Mumsnet Talk--
- Chapter 7. Conclusion: language, gender and parenthood online-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Language, Gender and Parenthood Online explores the digital interactions of parents on the UK-based internet discussion forum Mumsnet Talk, a space dominated by users sharing a common identification as women, parents and mothers. Using a qualitative approach grounded in feminist poststructuralist theory, Jai Mackenzie uncovers `common-sense' assumptions about gender and parenthood, explores the construction of gender and parenthood in digital contexts and how discourses of gendered parenthood are negotiated, resisted and subverted. This is key reading for students, scholars and researchers in the field of language and gender, as well as language and digital communication.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- "Routledge Focus."
- 9781138506220 (hardcover)
- 1138506222 (hardcover)
- 9781315146805 (electronic book)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: