33 simple strategies for faculty : a week-by-week resource for teaching first-year and first-generation students
- Lisa M. Nunn.
- New Brunswick : Rutgers University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vii, 144 pages ; 22 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2343.32 .N86 2019||Unknown|
- Nunn, Lisa M., 1975- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 131-139) and index.
- Introducing yourself (not your professional self)
- Modeling a study guide
- Finding study partners
- Articulating your pedagogic rationales
- Improving time management
- Sharing stress-management ideas
- Attending office hours
- Collecting Midsemester feedback
- Interviewing fellow students
- Finding your discipline
- Discovering life purpose and passion
- Sharing stories of college woe
- Laughing and commiserating together
- Learning from failures
- Saying farewell.
- Publisher's Summary
- Many students struggle with the transition from high school to university life. This is especially true of first-generation college students, who are often unfamiliar with the norms and expectations of academia. College professors usually want to help, but many feel overwhelmed by the prospect of making extra time in their already hectic schedules to meet with these struggling students. 33 Simple Strategies for Faculty is a guidebook filled with practical solutions to this problem. It gives college faculty concrete exercises and tools they can use both inside and outside of the classroom to effectively bolster the academic success and wellbeing of their students. To devise these strategies, educational sociologist Lisa M. Nunn talked with a variety of first-year college students, learning what they find baffling and frustrating about their classes, as well as what they love about their professors' teaching. Combining student perspectives with the latest research on bridging the academic achievement gap, she shows how professors can make a difference by spending as little as fifteen minutes a week helping their students acculturate to college life. Whether you are a new faculty member or a tenured professor, you are sure to find 33 Simple Strategies for Faculty to be an invaluable resource.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780813599489 20190121
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Thirty-three simple strategies for faculty
- 9780813599489 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 0813599482 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 9780813599472 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
- 0813599474 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: