Architectures of transversality : Paul Klee, Louis Kahn and the Persian imagination
- Shima Mohajeri.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 171 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Routledge research in architecture.
- Mohajeri, Shima, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 153-163) and index.
- Prelude. 1. Transversal Space of Modernity 2.Spaces of objectivity in Persian miniatures 3. Klee's Miniature Series, 1916-1918 4. Dialetics of Power and Culture in Iran 5. Kahn's Silent Space of Critique in Tehran, 1973-1974 Epilogue. Bibliography. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138721876 20190206
- Publisher's Summary
- Architectures of Transversality investigates the relationship between modernity, space, power, and culture in Iran. Focusing on Paul Klee's Persian-inspired miniature series and Louis Kahn's unbuilt blueprint for a democratic public space in Tehran, it traces the architectonics of the present as a way of moving beyond universalist and nationalist accounts of modernism. Transversality is a form of spatial production and practice that addresses the three important questions of the self, objects, and power. Using Deleuzian and Heideggerian theory, the book introduces the practices of Klee and Kahn as transversal spatial responses to the dialectical tension between existential and political territories and, in doing so, situates the history of the silent, unrepresented and the unbuilt - constructed from the works of Klee and Kahn - as a possible solution to the crisis of modernity and identity-based politics in Iran.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138721876 20190206
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge research in architecture
- Outgrowth of the author's thesis (doctoral--Texas A & M University, 2013) under the title: On the dialectic of silence : Klee, Kahn, and the space of transversal modernity in Iran.
- 9781138721876 hardback
- 1138721875 hardback
- 9781315193977 (ebook)
- 9781351759748 (ePub ebook)
- 9781351759755 (PDF ebook)
- 9781351759731 (Mobipocket ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: