Creative placemaking : research, theory and practice
- edited by Cara Courage and Anita McKeown.
- London ; New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 222 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Routledge studies in human geography.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction Curating Research, Theory and Practice (Cara Courage and Anita McKeown) Section One - Evolving Ecologies 1 Creative Placemaking: Reflections on a 21st Century American Arts Policy Initiative, (Ann Markusen and Anne Gadwa Nicodemus) 2 Spaces of Vernacular Creativity Reconsidered, (Tim Edensor and Steve Millington) Section Two - Dialogical Ecologies 3 Turning local interests into local action: Community-Based Art and the case of Wrecked! On The Intertidal Zone, (Dominic Walker) 4 Arrivals and Departures: Navigating an Emotional Landscape of Belonging and Displacement at Barangaroo in Sydney, Australia (Sarah Barns) 5 A Case for Human-Scale Social Space in Mumbai (Aditi Nargundkar Pathak) Section Three - Scalable Ecologies 6 A Rural Case: Beyond Creative Placemaking (Margo Handwerker) 7 Creative Placemaking in Peri-Urban Gothenburg - Mission Impossible? (Michael Landzelius and Peter Rundqvist) 8 A Conversation between a Collaborating Artist and Curator: Placemaking, Socially Engaged Art, and Deep Investment in People (Jim Walker and Shauta Marsh) Section 4 - Challenging Ecologies 9 Temporary Spatial Object/Architecture as a Typology for Placemaking (Torange Khonsari) 10 Place Guarding: Activist Art against Gentrification (Stephen Pritchard) 11 Outros Espacos: Apathy and Lack of Engagement in Participatory Processes (Luisa Alpalhao) Section 5 - Extending Ecologies 12 Towards Beauty and a Civics Of Place: Notes From The Thriving Cities Project, (Anna Marazuela Kim and Joshua J Yates) 13 From Indicators to Face Validity to Theory-and Back Again: Measuring Outcomes of U.S. Creative Placemaking Projects (Sunil Iyengar) Conclusion Moving into the beyond - what's next for creative placemaking? (Anita McKeown and Cara Courage).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138098022 20190114
- Publisher's Summary
- This book makes a significant contribution to the history of placemaking, presenting grassroots to top-down practices and socially engaged, situated artistic practices and artsled spatial inquiry that go beyond instrumentalising the arts for development. The book brings together a range of scholars to critique and deconstruct the notion of creative placemaking, presenting diverse case studies from researcher, practitioner, funder and policymaker perspectives from across the globe. It opens with the creators of the 2010 White Paper that named and defined creative placemaking, Ann Markusen and Anne Gadwa Nicodemus, who offer a cortically reflexive narrative on the founding of the sector and its development. This book looks at vernacular creativity in place, a topic continued through the book with its focus on the practitioner and community-placed projects. It closes with a consideration of aesthetics, metrics and, from the editors, a consideration of the next ten years for the sector. If creative placemaking is to contribute to places-in-the-making and encourage citizenled agency, new conceptual frameworks and practical methodologies are required. This book joins theorists and practitioners in dialogue, advocating for transdisciplinary, resilient processes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138098022 20190114
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge studies in human geography
- 9781138098022 (hardcover alkaline paper)
- 1138098027 (hardcover alkaline paper)
- 9781315104607 (electronic book)
- 9781351598583 (mobi/kindle)
Browse related items
Start at call number: