Racial profiling and human rights in Canada : the new legal landscape
- edited by Lorne Foster, Lesley Jacobs, Bobby Siu, & Shaheen Azmi.
- Toronto, ON : Irwin Law Inc., 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vii, 404 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Editor's introduction / Lorne Foster, Lesley Jacobs, Bobby Siu, & Shaheen Azmi
- Defining racial profiling / Bobby Siu
- The human rights approach to addressing racial profiling : the activity of the Ontario Human Rights Commission / Shaheen Azmi
- Interrogating the definition of racial profiling : a critical legal analysis / Sunil Gurmukh
- Applying the racial profiling correspondence test / David M. Tanovich
- Bias-neutral policing : a police perspective on the intersection of racial profiling with modern-day policing and the laws that govern / Gary V. Melanson
- "Singled out" : being a black youth in the suburbs / Carl E. James
- The re-framing of racial profiling : police violence against black women / Andrea S. Anderson
- Damaged goods : a critical perspective on consumer racial profiling in Ontario's retail environment / Tomee Elizabeth Sojourner-Campbell
- Racial profiling of women in Canada : beyond a "gender-free" lens / Tammy Landau
- The importance of collecting race data : preventing racial profiling and promoting inclusive citizenship / Lorne Foster & Lesley Jacobs
- A double-edged sword : carding, public safety, and the impact of racialized police practices / Scot Wortley
- Community engagement in policing : as a dialogic tool for combating racial profiling / Lorne Foster & Lesley Jacobs
- Ending racial profiling / Bobby Siu.
- "The book's primary theme is the notion of transformation. Part One examines racial profiling through an 'equality as transformation' lens, which provides an instructive background for the development of public policy and public law. Part Two explores different manifestations of racial profiling, including new, emerging forms of racial profiling, as well as uncovering examples in everyday life that have been concealed and largely neglected. Part Three focuses on effective methods and strategies to prevent and respond to racial profiling, highlighting some transformative policy applications and equity initiatives."-- Provided by publisher.
- Race discrimination > Law and legislation > Canada.
- Racial profiling in law enforcement > Canada.
- Human rights > Canada.
- Racial profiling in law enforcement > Government policy > Canada.
- Racial profiling in law enforcement > Canada > Prevention.
- Race discrimination > Canada.
- Race discrimination > Government policy > Canada.
- Race discrimination > Canada > Prevention.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Contains table of cases.
- 9781552214831 (PDF)
Browse related items
Start at call number: