Use and abuse of law in the Athenian courts
- edited by Chris Carey, Ifigeneia Giannadaki, Brenda Griffith-Williams.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xv, 385 pages ; 24 cm.
- Mnemosyne, bibliotheca classica Batava. Supplementum ; 419.
- Mnemosyne, bibliotheca classica Batava. Supplementum. History and archaeology of classical antiquity
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Introduction / Chris Carey
- Part 1. Conceptualising the system
- 1. Abuse is in the eye of the beholder / Michael Gagarin
- 2. The elasticity of Athenian law / Robin Osborne
- 3. The Athenian view of an Athenian trial / Edward M. Harris
- 4. Bridging the divide between public and private : dikē exoulēs and other hybrids / Chris Carey
- Part 2. Procedural manoeuvres
- 5. Isaios 6: a case of procedural abuse (and scholarly misunderstandings) / Brenda Griffith-Williams
- 6. Anakrisis and the framing of strategies of argumentation in Athenian public trials / Christos Kremmydas
- 7. The postponement of the trial by jury in Athens : the timing of the graphē paranomōn / László Horváth
- 8. Use and abuse of legal procedures to impede the legal process / Noboru Sato
- Part 3. The rhetoric of law
- 9. Clauses out of context : partial citation of statutes in Attic forensic oratory / Lene Rubinstein
- 10. Twisting the law in ancient Athens / Ilias Arnaoutoglou
- 11. (Re)constructing the Athenian legal system / Ifigeneia Giannadaki
- 12. Liturgies and the rhetoric of law in fourth-century Athens : a case study on an antidosis ([Dem.] 42) / Kostas Apostolakis
- 13. Jurisdiction and jurisprudence : the topography of law in Demosthenes 23 Against Aristokrates / Victoria Wohl
- 14. 'Theft' as a metaphor for the abuse of legal process at Athens / S.C. Todd
- Part 4. Specific areas of law
- 15. Laws against laws : the Athenian ideology of legislation / Marko Canevaro
- 16. Abuse of the eisangelia in the latter half of the fourth century BC / Eleni Volonaki
- 17. Athenian homicide law and the model penal code / David D. Phillips
- 18. Abuse of inheritance law in Isaios? / Rosalia Hatzilambrou.
This timely volume brings together leading scholars and rising researchers in the field to examine the role played by the law in thinking and practice in the legal system of classical Athens. The aim is not to find a single perspective or method for the study of Athenian law but to explore the subject from a variety of different angles. The focus of the collection on `use and abuse' raises fundamental questions about the status of law in the Athenian constitution as well as the use of law(s) in the courts, the nature of law itself, and the elusiveness of a definition of `abuse'. An introduction sketches the major developments in the field over the last century.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Mnemosyne supplements. History and archaeology of classical antiquity ; volume 419
- 9789004377875 (hardback ; alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: