Aunt Sammy's radio recipes : the original 1927 cookbook and housekeeper's chat
- edited by Justin Nordstrom.
- Fayetteville : The University of Arkansas Press, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 199 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Food and foodways (Fayetteville, Ark.)
- Includes bibliographical references.
From the 1920s through the 1940s, American kitchens had a welcome guest in "Aunt Sammy, " a creation of the US Department of Agriculture and its Bureau of Home Economics. Through the radio program Housekeeper's Chat, Aunt Sammy gave lively advice on food preparation, household chores, parenting and children, and gender dynamics as she encouraged women to embrace the radio and a host of modern consumer household products. The recipes she shared were gathered, in 1927, into a cookbook that became a valuable household manual for tens of thousands of Americans. Aunt Sammy's Radio Recipes revives the famous cookbook and joins it with extensive excerpts from the accompanying radio broadcasts, providing a fascinating study of how a witty and charming fictionalized personae became one of the early celebrity chefs of the radio age.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Radio recipes
- Food and foodways
- "This book brings together three different texts. First and foremost, it contains all of the material from the 1927 cookbook Aunt Sammy's Radio Recipes, produced by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). But it also includes excerpts from the 1920s radio broadcasts that inspired the character of 'Aunt Sammy' and menus and recipes promoted by the USDA. Finally, my introduction and editorial comments throughout the book contain historical context to provide a scholarly perspective on USDA's cooking advice and radio listenership of Aunt Sammy's audiences"--Preface.
- 9781682260616 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
- 1682260615 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
- 9781610756365 (electronic book)
- 9781610756372 (electronic book)
- 1610756371 (electronic book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: