The role of science in public policy
- Eamon Doyle, book editor.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Greenhaven Publishing, LLC, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 128 pages ; 23 cm.
- At issue. Social issues.
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|Q175.5 .R638 2019||Unknown|
- Doyle, Eamon, 1988- editor.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 122-125) and index.
- The role of science in public life
- Organization for economic cooperation and development
- The ethical considerations of science education / Theodore D. Goldfarb and Michael S. Pritchard
- Scientific standards should be set in the courtroom / Sanne H. Knudsen
- Effective communication with the public is necessary for scientific awareness / Frank J. Kelly and Julia C. Fussell
- Public relations campaigns can manipulate scientific research / Allan M. Brandt
- Manufacturers can produce misleading scientific research to protect themselves / Union of Concerned Scientists
- How policymakers can adapt to climate change / Rob Swart, Robbert Biesbroek, and Tiago Capela Lourenco
- The nature and politics of scientific debates in America / Adi Melamed
- The difference between science and politics / Michael Tobis
- The fossil fuel industry is using their own research to fight the EPA / Union of Concerned Scientists
- State-level regulation to combat climate change / Allison Hoppe
- The importance of grassroots movements in mobilizing environmental action / Petra Bartosiewicz and Marissa Miley
- A cultural change is necessary to fight climate change / Carol Gould.
- "Does science have a place when it comes to making public policy? The answer might not be as simple as many people think. Ideally, scientists discover facts, and those facts inform policy. But policy undermines the open-ended nature of scientific inquiry, and scientists end up representing an agenda rather than presenting objective truths to be used to make decisions that impact the public. Through a variety of perspectives, this volume explores who wins and who loses when science and politics mix."-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- At issue. Social issues
- 9781534503342 library bound
- 153450334X library bound
- 9781534503359 paperback
- 1534503358 paperback
Browse related items
Start at call number: