British overseas territories law
- Ian Hendry and Susan Dickson.
- Second edition.
- Oxford, UK : Hart Publishing, Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2018.
- Physical description
- xxxi, 397 pages ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Constitutional arrangements
- The office of governor
- Legislative authority and controls
- Executive authority and controls
- Judicial authority
- The law officers
- Sources of law
- Human rights in the territories
- Defence, public order and security, and emergency powers
- Nationality and belonger status
- Public finance
- External relations
- The territories in international law
- Air and maritime transport
- Termination of British sovereignty.
This is a manual of law and practice relating to the 14 remaining British overseas territories: Anguilla; Bermuda; British Antarctic Territory; British Indian Ocean Territory; Cayman Islands; Falkland Islands; Gibraltar; Montserrat; Pitcairn Islands; St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha; South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands; Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia in Cyprus; Turks and Caicos Islands; and Virgin Islands. Most, if not all, of these territories are likely to remain British for the foreseeable future, and many have agreed modern constitutional arrangements with the British Government. This book provides a comprehensive description of the main elements of their governance in law and practice, and of the constitutional and international status of the territories. This long-awaited second edition provides a comprehensive update on the law governing overseas territories. It reflects the post-Brexit landscape, and covers the Extradition Act 2003 (Overseas Territories) Order 2016 and the Emergency Powers (Overseas Territories) Order 2017. In addition, it explores case law developments from Chagos Islanders v The United Kingdom to the Mauritius case concerning British Overseas Territory waters.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Other edition
- Revision of: Hendry, I. D. British overseas territories law. Oxford ; Portland, Or. : Hart, 2011 ( 9781849460194 )
- 9781509918706 hardcover alkaline paper
- 1509918701 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9781509918713 electronic book ePDF
- 150991871X electronic book ePDF
- 9781509918720 electronic book ePub
- 1509918728 electronic book ePub
Browse related items
Start at call number: