100 greatest film scores
- Matt Lawson, Laurence E. MacDonald.
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) Alexander Nevsky (1938) Around the World in
- 80 Days (1956) Avalon (1990) Back to the Future (1985) Batman (1989) A Beautiful Mind (2001) Becket (1964) Ben-Hur (1959) The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) The Big Country (1958) Blade Runner (1982) Born Free (1966) Braveheart (1995) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) Casablanca (1943) Chariots of Fire (1981) Chinatown (1974) Cinema Paradiso (1989) Citizen Kane (1941) City Lights (1931) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) Conan the Barbarian (1982) Dances with Wolves (1990) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Doctor Zhivago (1965) East of Eden (1955) Edward Scissorhands (1990) Empire of the Sun (1987) E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) Fargo (1996) Forrest Gump (1994) The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) Giant (1956) Gladiator (12000) The Godfather I and II (1972-74) Gone with the Wind (1939) The Great Escape (1963) The Green Mile (1999) Henry V (1944) High Noon (1952) How the West Was Won (1963) Interstellar (2014) Jaws (1975) Jurassic Park (1993) King Kong (1933) King of Kings (1961) Kings Row (1942) The Last of the Mohicans (1992) Laura (1944) Lawrence of Arabia (1962) The Lion in Winter (1968) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) Lost Horizon (1937) The Magnificent Seven (1960) The Man with the Golden Arm (1955) The Mission (1986) The Natural (1984) North by Northwest (1959) Now, Voyager (1942) The Omen (1976) On Golden Pond (1981) On the Waterfront (1954) Once Upon a Time in the West (1969) Out of Africa (1985) The Piano (1993) The Pink Panther (1964) Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) Planet of the Apes (1968) The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) Psycho (1960) Quo Vadis (1951) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) The Red Pony (1949) The Red Violin (1999) The Robe (1953) Schindler's List (1993) Scott of the Antarctic (1948) The Sea Hawk (1940) The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) The Shawshank Redemption (1994) Somewhere in Time (1980) The Song of Bernadette (1943) Spartacus (1960) Spellbound (1945) The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) Star Trek - The Motion Picture (1979) Star Wars (1977) A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) Sunset Blvd. (1950) Superman (1978) The Third Man (1950) Titanic (1997) To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) Tom Jones (1963) Unbreakable (2000) Up (2009) Vertigo (1958) Appendix A: The Next
- 100 Film Scores Appendix B: Profiles of Composers Glossary Bibliography Index About the Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The background music on a film can make or break the audience experience. Imagine the shower scene in Psycho without the shrieking violins or Jaws without the ominous notes that portend the shark's attack! Musical accompaniment helps create atmosphere for the viewer, from subtle undertones to compositions that heighten the drama. In 100 Greatest Film Scores, authors Matt Lawson and Laurence E. MacDonald consider the finest music produced for cinema since the development of motion picture sound. Each entry includes background details about the film, biographical information about the composer, a concise analysis of the score, and a summary of the score's impact both within the film and on cinematic history. Among the many films cited here are iconic scores for The Adventures of Robin Hood, A Beautiful Mind, The Big Country, Chariots of Fire, Citizen Kane, Edward Scissorhands, Fargo, Gone with the Wind, The Great Escape, Jurassic Park, King Kong, Lawrence of Arabia, The Lion in Winter, North by Northwest, On the Waterfront, Out of Africa, The Pink Panther, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Vertigo, and Up. Arranged alphabetically and featuring a photo of each movies, the entries in this volume give the reader insight into how music functions across a wide spectrum of film genres. Representing some of the greatest composers in the history of cinema including Elmer Bernstein, Bernard Herrmann, Alfred Newman, John Williams, and Hans Zimmer, 100 Greatest Film Scores will be of interest to fans of movie music everywhere.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- One hunderd greatest film scores
- Electronic reproduction. Ipswich, MA Available via World Wide Web.
- 9781538103685 (electronic bk.)
- 1538103680 (electronic bk.)
- 9781538103678 (hardback ; alk. paper)