La abolición del tormento : el inédito Discurso sobre la injusticia del apremio judicial (c. 1795), de Pedro García del Canuelo
- por José Manuel Pereiro Otero.
- Chapel Hill : U.N.C. Department of Romance Studies, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 347 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- North Carolina studies in the Romance languages and literatures.
- Pereiro Otero, José Manuel, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 323-335) and index.
- Tortura judicial y apremio en el siglo XVIII espãnol...
- El discurso abolicionista allende los Pirineos
- La polémica abolicionista aquende los Pirineos
- La historia de un fracaso
- El discurso sobre la injusticia del apremio judicial
- La historia de un triunfo
- Transcripción del Discurso sobre la injusticia del apremio judicial
- Reproducción del Discurso sobre la injusticia del apremio judicial.
- "The abolition of judicial torture--alongside the eradication of both slavery and capital punishment--was one of the most consequential issues debated in 18th century continental Europe. A revealing component of this controversial debate was presented in the unpublished Discurso sobre la injusticia del apremio judicial, written by the attorney Pedro García del Cañuelo. Seeking support for its publication, he forwarded the manuscript to Prime Minister Manuel Godoy in 1795. The savvy Spanish politician, however, not only rejected the text, but also warned its author against further discussing the issues raised in his treatise. As a result, although its title was known, the essay was lost to history. The current volume, La abolición del tormento, analyzes, transcribes, and reproduces the complete Discurso while framing its proposals within the European debate regarding the abolition of torture and the prohibition of other methods of mental and physical coercion allowed by diverse tribunals. The monography ... examines the philosophical and juridical foundations related to this atrocious practice, one which produced one of the fiercest exchanges of the Enlightenment. The aforementioned dispute reflects the political tensions of an era because a discussion on the legality of torture involves a consideration of what constitutes a human being, what is the relationship between legality and justice, as well as what are the limits of lawful power in relation to the natural rights and the intrinsic value of the individual"-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- North Carolina studies in the Romance languages and literatures ; number 314
- 9781469647494 paperback
- 1469647494 paperback
Browse related items
Start at call number: