Church Missionary Society periodicals
- Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK : Adam Matthew Digital
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- 1: Global Missions and Contemporary Encounters: 1804-2009
- 2: Medical Journals, Asian Missions and the Historical Record: 1816-1986.
"From its roots as an Anglican evangelical movement driven by lay persons, this resource encompasses publications from the CMS and the latterly integrated South American Missionary Society. Documenting missionary work from the 19th to the 21st century, the periodicals include news, journals and reports offering a unique perspective on global history and cultural encounter."
- This online portal makes available periodicals from the Church Missionary Society Archive, a collection relevant to missiology, world Christianity, and global history. Against the backdrop of colonialism and its decline, this resource covers themes from gender and families to medicine, education, the development of native churches, political conflict, social reform, linguistics, and exploration. Founded in 1799 as an Anglican evangelical movement, the Church Missionary Society (CMS) has been active across the globe, proving one of the key agents of evangelism in the non-Western world. The publications featured in Church Missionary Society Periodicals span more than 200 years of history. The periodicals were key in promoting the work of the society, fundraising, and reporting from a number of countries as well as communicating within mission communities. They offer an interesting perspective on world events through the eyes of an organization which shared a unique relationship with the countries and people with which it worked. Detailed woodcut illustrations and thousands of photographs offer a further angle on the societies' work as well as thought-provoking presentations of indigenous cultures. Church Mission Society (CMS) Periodicals database is comprised of two modules: I) Global Missions and Contemporary Encounters, 1804-2009 - made up of periodicals published by the CMS and the South American Missionary Society from 1804-2009; and II) Medical Journals, Asian Missions and the Historical Record, 1816-1986 - and includes periodicals and annual reports published by the CMS and its auxiliaries, and the Church of England Zenana Missionary Society, from 1816-1986. Module I's archival source is from the CMS collection at the Crowther Mission Studies Library, Oxford, UK, and Module II's materials originate from the CMS collection at the Cadbury Research Library, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Church Missionary Society > Periodicals > Databases.
- South American Missionary Society > Periodicals > Databases.
- Church of England > Missions > Periodicals.
- Missions > Periodicals > Databases.
- Missionaries > Databases.
- Church Missionary Society.
- Church of England.
- South American Missionary Society.
- Beginning date
- Title from title screen (viewed on May 8, 2015).
- Related Work
- Church missionary intelligencer (London, England : 1891)
- Church missionary intelligencer and record.
- Church missionary review.
- Yes (London, England)
- Included Work
- Church missionary gleaner.
- Church missionary outlook.
- Ruanda notes.
- Junior Ruanda notes.
- Partners together (London, England)
- MAM news.
- South American missionary magazine.